IGNORED

Anybody getting Battlefront II?

zzip

For the price of the $80 Deluxe Edition of SWBF2, you could have bought Stampede AND Kaboom AND Dragster AND Starmaster!!

But $80 is $31 in 1982 dollars, so you'd get one, maybe two of those if on sale. Plus those games would hold my interest for 20 minutes - an hour tops. I still find myself playing the 2015 Battlefront regularly two years later

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It drives me nuts to read gaming news sites and see overblown controversies, especially when they are using misinformation to fuel their rage. Like the claim that it will take thousands of hours to unlock all heroes in BF2 if you don't pay up. The truth is people are unlocking them all in just a couple of days without spending a dime.

You should keep in mind that the costs of the characters/upgrades were drastically cut after the outrage where people who did the math were saying it would take thousands of hours. Also keep in mind someone mentions above that there was apparently a glitch where people were getting 10x the credits they were intended to. This is assuming these people were playing the game legit and not finding some way to unlock everything without the necessary credits, or were at least telling the truth that they didn't spend a dime, or weren't a paid off shill. (That actually happens in this industry.)

Bottom line: If it was easy to effortlessly unlock everything "in just a couple days" then the loot crate system that most definitely cost them a chunk of change to develop and painstakingly integrate into the core progression system of the game so it couldn't be removed would have been a complete waste of time and resources. You know as well as we do that they added it because they knew people would feel pressured to open the wallet if they wanted to get more than a couple of favorite characters unlocked and powered up.

And that's not just a BF2 thing. ANY game that incorporates an in-game gambling system (And that's all lootboxes are, regardless of what people want to officially classify them as) into their game, it's being done to milk the customer. If gamers want devs to stop doing that, they'll have to collectively take a stand and just not buy any game with such a system in it. Believe it or not, if it's done by enough gamers then you won't even miss out on many games as devs will definitely feel the pressure to go remove the system just to get off the collective boycott.

• Like 1

You should keep in mind that the costs of the characters/upgrades were drastically cut after the outrage where people who did the math were saying it would take thousands of hours. Also keep in mind someone mentions above that there was apparently a glitch where people were getting 10x the credits they were intended to. This is assuming these people were playing the game legit and not finding some way to unlock everything without the necessary credits, or were at least telling the truth that they didn't spend a dime, or weren't a paid off shill. (That actually happens in this industry.)

Yes, and they changed it before the game released. They removed the things people hated about the BF1 too. They listen and respond to the community, so why do they continually get so much hate, and never any credit for actually responding to complaints?

Bottom line: If it was easy to effortlessly unlock everything "in just a couple days" then the loot crate system that most definitely cost them a chunk of change to develop and painstakingly integrate into the core progression system of the game so it couldn't be removed would have been a complete waste of time and resources. You know as well as we do that they added it because they knew people would feel pressured to open the wallet if they wanted to get more than a couple of favorite characters unlocked and powered up.

And if you don't want to pay you don't have to. I found 8 of the heroes were unlocked for me, and only 6 are locked. I've unlocked Palpatine, using credits I earned, but I'm in no rush to unlock rest because I've been enjoying the 8 unlocked characters. I feel no pressure to pay to unlock the rest, and even if I did, I can't because paying for crystals is still suspended.

And that's not just a BF2 thing. ANY game that incorporates an in-game gambling system (And that's all lootboxes are, regardless of what people want to officially classify them as)

Why is that gambling and blind packs of trading cards aren't? it's the same thing

into their game, it's being done to milk the customer. If gamers want devs to stop doing that, they'll have to collectively take a stand and just not buy any game with such a system in it. Believe it or not, if it's done by enough gamers then you won't even miss out on many games as devs will definitely feel the pressure to go remove the system just to get off the collective boycott.

Just don't buy the microtransactions if they bother you! I never do. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything by not paying.

If they remove optional in game purchases then we will probably all pay higher prices for games, and if they can't sell enough games that way, they will cut budgets and people will start complaining that game quality is going down. I would much rather have optional purchases because they are optional. But I honestly don't think they are going to go away. A number of companies are pursuing the "Games as a service" model, so we will see more of this, not less.

• Like 1

Yes, and they changed it before the game released. They removed the things people hated about the BF1 too. They listen and respond to the community, so why do they continually get so much hate, and never any credit for actually responding to complaints?

Because it's EA? The company isn't well liked by a lot of gamers because they think the company is too "corporate", more interested in making a lot money than making good games. That and what happened to Bullfrog Productions and Maxis after they were bought out by EA doesn't seem to help matters much.

Because it's EA? The company isn't well liked by a lot of gamers because they think the company is too "corporate", more interested in making a lot money than making good games. That and what happened to Bullfrog Productions and Maxis after they were bought out by EA doesn't seem to help matters much.

But are they really objectively any worse than other companies? How many studios has MS bought and shuttered? Sony? Quite a few in each case. Once the creative team that made the studio leaves, studios often become only a shadow of their former glory and closing them is really the best choice.

But gamers will line up to defend those companies despite that they are every bit as corporate as EA. There are also a number of other developers who get shielded from criticism even when they engage in the same practices that EA or Ubisoft get skewered for. The difference seems to be PR. Some companies say exactly the things those gamers want to hear and gamers will ignore their actual practices. While EA and Ubisoft are not as shrewd in this area and have put their foot in their mouth at times. The result is the vocal parts of the gaming community hates their games before they've even played the games.

Objectively speaking EA has bought out far more studios than the averages between the others and specifically to spite fuck their competition. When they can't bother to or attain the quality level of a game that's in direct competition with their own product, if it's not something in house by a first or second party company they will throw out whatever amount is needed to grab up a company just to pick off the IP and projects, a small percent of the talent, and then mass fire the rest of them like some asinine retribution against both the publisher that was competing with them but also that developer they bought out as a lesson not to screw with them. Sure other companies do buy up places now and again to get talent and some IPs to grow, EA though tend to do it when someone is a direct threat just to grudge fuck the parties responsible for hurting the sales of their game. Similar motivation sure, but not the same. One is to get better talent or some solid IP, then you have EA who do it so they can go about their business shoveling out mediocre crap instead of upping their own quality standards.

To them it's cheaper to buy up and crush a company to stop them and the developer who contracted the place than it is to destroy one of their core sports/other titles and start from scratch to make it better on their own talent and merits.

That's why they're reviled long before they got into wallet screwing people to death with microtransactions which migrated into gambling level scummy loot boxes.

• Like 1

I bought it a few weeks ago as an early Christmas present. TBH it's ... meh. I'm not much of a one for FPS games and it took me a while to get into the first game but once I did, it became a bit of a blast. There were flaws that this game has fixed. The starfighter battles have been massively improved but I'm not a fan of using classes in the FPS multiplayer. I'm also not liking the maps. The maps in the first game were much better IMO and the game modes much more fun for the casual FPS player. I just feel that the class system was introduced to attract the COD crowd. A massive improvement, though, is the hero system - no more suicidal charges to get to a hero pickup.

I'm also not liking the maps. The maps in the first game were much better IMO and the game modes much more fun for the casual FPS player. I just feel that the class system was introduced to attract the COD crowd. A massive improvement, though, is the hero system - no more suicidal charges to get to a hero pickup.

Some of the maps are lackluster compared to 2015, I thought it was just me.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife bought me a PS4 slim with Battlefront II and I'm enjoying it. I've only spent one evening with it so far and doing the arcade mode to just practice and, my god, I never realized how much I suck at modern games. So many buttons. In a crazy firefight I basically just mash all the buttons and get killed in a panic. I gotta spend more time and get used to the controls, maybe tweak some settings but once I do I'm looking forward to getting into the single player campaign. It is just gorgeous though. Also looking forward to exploring the PS4 library

My wife bought me a PS4 slim with Battlefront II and I'm enjoying it. I've only spent one evening with it so far and doing the arcade mode to just practice and, my god, I never realized how much I suck at modern games. So many buttons. In a crazy firefight I basically just mash all the buttons and get killed in a panic. I gotta spend more time and get used to the controls, maybe tweak some settings but once I do I'm looking forward to getting into the single player campaign. It is just gorgeous though. Also looking forward to exploring the PS4 library

R2 to fire, L2 usually zooms in on the target. I think it's the O button that allows you to roll and X to jump. Those are the basics. It feels natural before long. the L1/R1 buttons activate special abilities.

I've played most of the campaign and alot of mutiplayer. I don't understand all the hate. Maybe its alot different now then it was on launch day. The game has it all.Lots of maps. A full campaign. An arcade mode with solo and split screen! I get that its a grind to unlock heros and loot boxes for cards. But doesnt bother me. Feels more like Battlefield games then COD ! Big plus in my book!

Btw: feel free to join me anytime guys. For mutiplayer.

With no online access it looks like you get 3 different arcade modes. Solo, co-op and versus.

The solo and co-op has 16 battle scenarios . 8 light and 8 dark side. Plus there a custom arcade mode. Plus theres the full story mode.

Theres a lot of content here if your not a multiplayer type. If you need more specific info please be free to ask away.

Rick

I've played most of the campaign and alot of mutiplayer. I don't understand all the hate. Maybe its alot different now then it was on launch day. The game has it all.Lots of maps. A full campaign. An arcade mode with solo and split screen! I get that its a grind to unlock heros and loot boxes for cards. But doesnt bother me. Feels more like Battlefield games then COD ! Big plus in my book!

I believe the hate is not about the game at all, it's more generalized hate directed at loot boxes as a concept (multiple games have them), the "games as a service" concept, and EA in general as it seems to be their turn

Btw: feel free to join me anytime guys. For mutiplayer.

What platform are you on?