IGNORED

Dead 7800?

Well not 100%. I got a used 7800 with 2 controllers (proline not the rectangle 2 button rare ones) on August 7, 2016. It was untested. But I got a cheap used original ac adapter and it works great. Have not used it in a while. I wrapped the cord around the bottom very carefully last time I used it and put it in storage. Maybe too tight. But I left some slack at the end so to not break the tip. I was going to play some tonight but it does not turn on. Completely dead. No red light. After wiggling the tip (blue part that goes into the 7800) I was getting some intermittent red light. Not steady can't keep red light on. So I have a bad ac adapter.

1. How easy are these to fix?

2. 3rd party any better?

3. Or mod it here for standard power adapter I saw a thread here long time ago. But if I ever sell does that make the value less because its modded and not original?

I could sell the whole collection and be done with it. But without working ac adapter its not worth much. Any ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Or maybe its possible to make an adapter. Like blue tip on one side and plug in for a standard on the other side. So no need to mod the unit.

To do that you would need the female version pictured here https://www.ebay.com/itm/5pair-12V-5-5x2-1mm-Male-Female-DC-Power-Socket-Jack-Connector-Cable-Plug-Wire/272180991208?hash=item3f5f4054e8:g:F2MAAOSwpIdW8CCW

both male and female are included

Problem is the blue plug you are referring to now is already not making a good connection if wiggling it gives you intermittent power so you would need a good plug off another adapter, which would be pointless because if you get another adapter that has it you may as well just use it, and you aren't likely to find just that plug without the adapter to start with.

http://saundby.com/atari7800mod/7800_powermod.html

Never tried this but, it looked like a neat way to use a standard adapter and not make any irreversible changes to the console.

Might be good for a test anyhow.

sounds like crap to me, if you can solder 2 jumpers and a power connector, just solder the power connector and save 12 bucks on jumpers ... solder is removable

here's what i got on my 7800 right now, 2 wires soldered to the square connector where they solder to the board simple

Edited by Osgeld

To do that you would need the female version pictured here https://www.ebay.com/itm/5pair-12V-5-5x2-1mm-Male-Female-DC-Power-Socket-Jack-Connector-Cable-Plug-Wire/272180991208?hash=item3f5f4054e8:g:F2MAAOSwpIdW8CCW

both male and female are included

Problem is the blue plug you are referring to now is already not making a good connection if wiggling it gives you intermittent power so you would need a good plug off another adapter, which would be pointless because if you get another adapter that has it you may as well just use it, and you aren't likely to find just that plug without the adapter to start with.

The blue part is fine. Its stiff. Its the black cord part. So I was thinking like a mini box. Blue part on one end goes straight into the unit. And hole on the other end for a generic supply like nes or genesis.

The blue part is fine. Its stiff. Its the black cord part. So I was thinking like a mini box. Blue part on one end goes straight into the unit. And hole on the other end for a generic supply like nes or genesis.

I don't think you follow what I'm trying to say.

No red light. After wiggling the tip (blue part that goes into the 7800) I was getting some intermittent red light. Not steady can't keep red light on.

Even if it is the cord where it goes into the blue tip it isn't going to help much if you wiggle the blue tip and you get connection. Even if the plug fits snug into the console for one thing it could still be a loose connection on that part either the blue tip or where it plugs into the console. But if it is the cord where it goes into the blue tip is the problem that still might mean the tip is useless because the cord is probably bad right as it enters the plug(if wiggling it makes or breaks a connection for you), so therefore you would more than likely need another plug anyhow because some wire would have to be left over to solder to another plug.

I was hoping not so but I see you point. Even a box would of need some wire to solder inside. So no good. I wiggled some more and finally got it to turn on so its not dead. But the adapter is bad. It will not stay on with the slightest movement of the cord or console. So I will consider other options. Maybe modding it. I will decide later.

Its also possible its not the PSU at all, but rather the common power button issue on the console...

Its not because after I got it on for a few seconds it turned off. No movement of the console or power button. Just a light tap on the black cord by accident and it went off. Or power button could be bad also. But no way to know for sure.

Or just ebay the whole lot and be done with it. But not sure how much its worth. 7800 main unit, 2 proline controllers, bad ac adaper, and 7 games. And maybe my seagull 78 adapter also tossed in. But it won't be even close to the almost 130 I paid for everything including the seagull.

Well I was looking at used ac adapters third party.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B007PE1OZY/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

40 is high but ok. But 822.87 just for a ac adapter gave me a good laugh. Maybe mod it. Not a bad idea. But I can't solder. What would one of you guys charge to mod?

That's a placeholder price. They don't really have that in stock. And they don't expect anyone to buy at $822. It's likely easier to change the price temporarily to "deactivate" a listing while they restock, as opposed to creating a whole NEW listing.

Its not because after I got it on for a few seconds it turned off. No movement of the console or power button. Just a light tap on the black cord by accident and it went off. Or power button could be bad also. But no way to know for sure.

Or just ebay the whole lot and be done with it. But not sure how much its worth. 7800 main unit, 2 proline controllers, bad ac adaper, and 7 games. And maybe my seagull 78 adapter also tossed in. But it won't be even close to the almost 130 I paid for everything including the seagull.

why dont you just buy a new ac adapter? 3rd party is going to be better than broken ... so dramatic over something so simple, hate to see what happens if a light bulb burns out

Edited by Osgeld

This is how you fix your 7800... and by so doing, you can then use a much more common PS like the model 1 Sega Genesis or Master System power supplies..

Do this as was already advised...:

http://saundby.com/atari7800mod/7800_powermod.html

Never tried this but, it looked like a neat way to use a standard adapter and not make any irreversible changes to the console.

Might be good for a test anyhow.

And then get one of these to add a pigtail out of the console with the new adapter on it. I've done this to a few consoles over the years and it works quite well. I originally would get this from Radio Shack back in the day, but then they disappeared in my area and I finally found that console5.com has them and they would work as well...:

https://console5.com/store/nes-genesis-1-sega-cd-tg16-jaguar-more-female-jack-w-pigtail.html

Voila! Fixed....

• 3 weeks later...

Not trying to kick a dead horse, but I would recommend buying a replacement adapter from Atariguide.com before attempting to service your console? Website appears to be down right now but last I checked they had replacement 7800 adapters. I'd been meaning to pick one up in case the brittle silver wires in the stock adapters broke like my Lynx and 2600 OEMs did.

Not trying to kick a dead horse, but I would recommend buying a replacement adapter from Atariguide.com before attempting to service your console? Website appears to be down right now but last I checked they had replacement 7800 adapters. I'd been meaning to pick one up in case the brittle silver wires in the stock adapters broke like my Lynx and 2600 OEMs did.

I did get a replacement. From amazon. Probably just as good. We will see.