IGNORED

What to do with my 5200..

Inky

The right installer could do a reversible mod. Go at least to s-video. Plenty of no cut midders.

I don't understand people's hesitation to not make the systems they play better. If you have one in pristine condition and don't play it I guess I understand in that case. The 5200 is worth less today than the day it was purchased. Plus a modded system will fetch a much better price when you go to sell. That may change 100 years from now but none of us will be around anymore.

If you are happy with an unmodded system that's all that matters. But will you get a better picture... Absolutely no question!

People have no issues watching old TV shows and movies on their new 4k TV so why not play your games on one. They don't pull out their VCR and set the TV to channel 4. An imperfect analogy I know.

My opinion though if you're curious about a better picture... Go for it. Plenty of YouTube videos demonstrating the difference. Check out the RetroRGB website or any of the videos by My Life in Gaming. They can get you started.

Maybe a throw a kit in one of my beater 52's to see how it improves and then go from there.

BTW, I still use a VCR for things that have not been converted or were never re-released on DVD..

The last really good VCR year was '87 for Panasonic, I have a great picture, but then again I'm still running CRT's, and have NO plans of ever changing to a flat screen until the get a genuine 320 refresh rate or my last crt finally blows.

Thanks for the info , I suppose I have a new mission !

Neither of my new Samsung Smart TVs has s-video ports -- just composite, component, HDMI, and RF. So I'm sticking with RF.

Which is why I have all of my modded consoles going through a converter to my HDTVs.

BTW for some examples between Composite and S-video alone...here are shots of my modded 5200. These aren't video captures, they are pics taken from my Nikon directly from my old samsung LED I had at the time. My Sony LED I'm using now has the same picture quality.

https://www.facebook.com/jesse.hardesty.9/media_set?set=a.10201868503891591.1073741829.1153072122&type=3

Just the difference between the composite and s-video is crazy. I honestly never use the composite because the s-video provides such a better picture. But still nice to have it there for other connection possibilities.

I will admit that the RF on a digital TV isn't bad but s-video is the way to go. Signal easily converted to input to modern TV.

Last poster, the link takes us to your Facebook. Lol

Yes...I know that. I didn't feel like downloading all the pics separately to attach here when I have a public album already built there for it. I don't care what people see there and I post a lot of gaming stuff there as well with my videos and projects..etc. If is that big a deal, I can grab some of the pics later and attach them here but it was easier to just link that album.

Yes...I know that. I didn't feel like downloading all the pics separately to attach here when I have a public album already built there for it. I don't care what people see there and I post a lot of gaming stuff there as well with my videos and projects..etc. If is that big a deal, I can grab some of the pics later and attach them here but it was easier to just link that album.

My bad. When I first clicked the link on my phone it didn't take me to the pics of the console. Now on my PC, it seemed to get me where you intended. Nice pics! I also snooped out the mod work on the Genesis. Nice job showing the differences in quality and I bet it looks even better in person. :) No question the RF and Composite are doing yourself an injustice in today's world. I spent many hours playing via RF on a black and white TV as a kid and I should not have to do that now. :) I can't wait to get the s-video mod work completed on my 5200!

I will admit that the RF on a digital TV isn't bad but s-video is the way to go. Signal easily converted to input to modern TV.

Last poster, the link takes us to your Facebook. Lol

My two Smart TVs have such a good comb filter that both RF (5200) and composite (LaserDisc) look great on them. My days of using s-video to separate chroma and luma are over. I'm letting my TVs do that for me!

Since I got and installed the gold controller kit from Best, I've been having a lot of fun with the games I have. I never owned Realsports Baseball when I had a 5200 in the late 80's, but now , it's probably the best classic era baseball game, bar none.

• Like 1

Since I got and installed the gold controller kit from Best, I've been having a lot of fun with the games I have. I never owned Realsports Baseball when I had a 5200 in the late 80's, but now , it's probably the best classic era baseball game, bar none.

I read on their page that you need to glue the new flex circuit down, is that true?

I don't have a lot of time to go hunting for an answer this morning, so I'll just be lazy and come out and ask. If I was to send in my joystick to get 'the full treatment' by Best Electronics, how much would it cost?

Upgraded Best Electronics Atari CX2 Joystick with New Lifetime 2nd Gen. Gold Metal Dot Silicone Pads and Gold Flex Circuit (Exchange / Core sent in required*) $42.00 each

Best Reconditioned / Upgraded Atari CX52 Gold Dot CX52 Joysticks with the 2nd Generation Gold dot fire buttons are $79.00 each

Use two sided tape. Makes it easier to refurb again, should you have to.

Gotch ya! I do wonder if I could get away with simply switching the buttons but leaving the flex circuit I have in as is.

Edited by Greg2600
  • Like 1

Upgraded Best Electronics Atari CX2 Joystick with New Lifetime 2nd Gen. Gold Metal Dot Silicone Pads and Gold Flex Circuit (Exchange / Core sent in required*) $42.00 each

Best Reconditioned / Upgraded Atari CX52 Gold Dot CX52 Joysticks with the 2nd Generation Gold dot fire buttons are $79.00 each

Okay! If I'm reading this correctly, if I send him my joystick it's $42.00. If I just want to buy one from him it's $79.00.

I like the first option! THANKS.

No, you don't need the tape, but I put it on, just to ensure the flex circuit doesn't slip.

Still I wonder how necessary their Gold Flex Circuit really is?

Okay! If I'm reading this correctly, if I send him my joystick it's $42.00. If I just want to buy one from him it's $79.00.

I like the first option! THANKS.

But you're paying shipping $ to send them out, and get the replacements back.