IGNORED

130XE troubleshooting

hueyjones70

Here are a couple of the screen images I get after the computer stays on for a while.  The time it takes for this to show up is not constant.  Something else that I discovered. If I insert a Pole Position cart and boot, I get a light blue screen.  PacMan boots to PacMan and Star Raiders boots to Star Raiders.  The BASIC cart doesn't boot at all.

130XE b.jpg

130XE a.jpg

Check CPU first thing. It heats up and does things like that based on cpu load... usually made in mexico cpu... but once in a blue moon it's others.

You can use the idividual tests in sysinfo or any other software for that matter to target chips in the system...

Of course a can of freeze spray can help with that too...  periodic spraying a particular chip.. if it runs longer etc... well you found a thermally affected chip...

Edited by _The Doctor__

Well, I swapped out the CPU, ANTIC, and GTIA again. I also desoldered the CPU socket so I could check for solder bridges, put in a new socket all for nothing. This is the most frustrating issue I have ever had with a computer. I could probably sell the individual ICs for enough to purchase a new MB from Best.

• 1 month later...

My latest observation is that when it boots and has that momentary period before it goes crazy, the function keys do not work correctly. If I boot with PacMan, the start key changes the number of players and the select key changes the level of difficulty. Help does nothing. Reset resets.