IGNORED

4-Port - that internal RCA jack

deepthaw

Did the power mod on my 5200 last night and noticed that internal RCA jack next to the RF wire. I found a few posts that suggested that you can actually plug an rca cable (as long as it fits) in there instead of using the rf cable that's soldered to the board.

Is that correct? I'd like to remove the built-in cable and just add a jack on the back of the system (which I could repurpose down the line if I ever decide to do a composite video mod.)

• Like 1

Yes...

And you should have removed that soldered on Cable as part of the power mod to begin with? You also could de-solder that cable from where it is on the board, and then resolder it to the points where the internal RCA jack is. But yes, you can attach a standard RF cable off that jack and still get RF. Just modded a 5200 recently where the RF was requested to be kept in tact and I did this very thing.

Yes...

And you should have removed that soldered on Cable as part of the power mod to begin with? You also could de-solder that cable from where it is on the board, and then resolder it to the points where the internal RCA jack is. But yes, you can attach a standard RF cable off that jack and still get RF. Just modded a 5200 recently where the RF was requested to be kept in tact and I did this very thing.

Huh, I didn't, and it still works. Granted, I haven't closed the case up yet or played it for an extended period of time. Why does the 5200 have two connectors for AV, with one apparently unused?

I don't know why the internal connector is there. But it is used on the 2-port models of course. My theory..is that they were originally planning on the 4-port to use a separate power and video just like the 2600, but then late in the development they decided to go with the new all in one cable setup for an easier and sleeker looking design.

I think this only because of the spot on the back of the case where the channel switch is, has that spot that looks like where they planned to route the power connection and eventually did on the 2-port models. So my thinking is that Atari had intended on them being separate to begin with and then eventually went back to that when making the 2-port models.

I only removed the RF cable because CPUWIZ's guide here advises as much. I also think that once I did the power mod on my 4-port unit that the cable didn't work anymore for RF until i moved it to the RCA jack. But you don't have to replace the cable, just solder the center of the coax to the center point off the jack, and the shield portion of the outer wire to the outer point of the RCA jack. Just make sure to cable tie it down or knot the cable internally so it can't be yanked out easily.

I don't know why the internal connector is there. But it is used on the 2-port models of course. My theory..is that they were originally planning on the 4-port to use a separate power and video just like the 2600, but then late in the development they decided to go with the new all in one cable setup for an easier and sleeker looking design.

I think this only because of the spot on the back of the case where the channel switch is, has that spot that looks like where they planned to route the power connection and eventually did on the 2-port models. So my thinking is that Atari had intended on them being separate to begin with and then eventually went back to that when making the 2-port models.

I only removed the RF cable because CPUWIZ's guide here advises as much. I also think that once I did the power mod on my 4-port unit that the cable didn't work anymore for RF until i moved it to the RCA jack. But you don't have to replace the cable, just solder the center of the coax to the center point off the jack, and the shield portion of the outer wire to the outer point of the RCA jack. Just make sure to cable tie it down or knot the cable internally so it can't be yanked out easily.

I'm actually in the middle of power modding my 4-port and didn't see any reference to removing the soldered on cable. Does that need to be removed, or can you still use it for RF? I was planning on keeping it.

I'm actually in the middle of power modding my 4-port and didn't see any reference to removing the soldered on cable. Does that need to be removed, or can you still use it for RF? I was planning on keeping it.

I didn't remove mine (like you, I didn't see a reference to removing it) and it seems to be working fine.

• Like 1

CPU's guide is just pics...and you can clearly see in the third pic that his RF cable has been removed from his 5200. Since he only posted pics originally that is what I followed..his pics LOL. I supposed it doesn't matter, but I do seem to recall that I did solder mine back in and it wouldn't work on RF any longer so I was like "screw it" at the time.

If you AV mod and don't plan to use RF ever again, then you can certainly remove it since removing the RF modulator will just make this thing get in the way if you don't remove the cable as well. Either way, you can use the RCA jack all the same.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/20871-atari-5200-4-port-power-modification-warning-big/page-1?do=findComment&comment=226153

I want to leave my cable on because I dont plan to remove RF and the cable can be neatly wrapped under the machine

Um..if you remove it and then use a standard RCA type cable like the 2600 uses, then you can still wrap it around the base under the console...

Um..if you remove it and then use a standard RCA type cable like the 2600 uses, then you can still wrap it around the base under the console...

Id prefer to use the original cable for a few reasons. Its long, and I feel like it has more shielding compared to the modern RCA cables. The newer ones arent as robust. Maybe Im wrong but the old cables sure have a lot of the grounding insulation compared to the newer ones and I have to think that helps with the video quality from RF

Edited by SINGLE TOOTH

When I did mine, I removed the cable, then reversed it and plugged the other end into the internal rca jack. Then I took the end that was originally soldered to the board and put a standard coaxial rf connector on it so I could connect it to my tv without one of those rca to coax adapters. Combined with an rf trap and a signal booster and I got near composite quality. (this was long before I installed the UAV, which looks even better)

• Like 2

When I did mine, I removed the cable, then reversed it and plugged the other end into the internal rca jack. Then I took the end that was originally soldered to the board and put a standard coaxial rf connector on it so I could connect it to my tv without one of those rca to coax adapters. Combined with an rf trap and a signal booster and I got near composite quality. (this was long before I installed the UAV, which looks even better)

Thats actually a brilliant idea!!!

I finished my mod and left the RF cable on. It works fine. I didn't see a benefit to desoldering it.

I used the wrong value ceramic cap, I grabbed the wrong one on my desk with a bigger one. I discovered this after I was finished and tested it and it works so I'm leaving it as is.

post-1274-0-96427500-1523725517_thumb.jpgpost-1274-0-22283300-1523725739_thumb.jpg

That sucks.

Do you have a multimeter? Do you have a short maybe? Pics?

I think I damaged the motherboard with repeated clumsy soldering and D soldering to fix the fact that I really didnt know what I was doing when I first wired it up.

I tried doing some continuity testing and it seems to be fine, I thought maybe I broke the capacitor you install but I replaced it and it still doesnt work.

I put enough time in it that I have decided to cut my losses and it would probably be more efficient to just order or try to track down another system rather than try and get this one working. I will call it a surprisingly inexpensive learning opportunity, since the system was given to me for free.

I now have the dubious distinction of owning three working 5200 controllers, and no system to go with it.

I think I damaged the motherboard with repeated clumsy soldering and D soldering to fix the fact that I really didnt know what I was doing when I first wired it up.

I tried doing some continuity testing and it seems to be fine, I thought maybe I broke the capacitor you install but I replaced it and it still doesnt work.

I put enough time in it that I have decided to cut my losses and it would probably be more efficient to just order or try to track down another system rather than try and get this one working. I will call it a surprisingly inexpensive learning opportunity, since the system was given to me for free.

I now have the dubious distinction of owning three working 5200 controllers, and no system to go with it.

Might be a good idea to hang on to the mobo or at least keep the IC's.

I think Best Electronics sells 5200 boards.

Before going for a new one, try posting some pics of your board. Might be something simple that some of the more experienced hardware guys here will pick up on right away.

I may try that. I originally chucked it in the trash because I was so frustrated with myself, but I dig it back out. It was working fine, but I had to desolder and resolder wires so the new power jack could be screwed into the case. That's when it all went wrong.