IGNORED

A couple of Mod Q's

DarthLister

Hey all,

I've successfully modded a couple of 7800's with one of the many AV kits available on eBay, but now I';m looking to do an S-vid mod.

If my understanding of the architecture of the signal paths and board is wrong, please let me know (is there any in-depth conversation concerning the signal path and the necessity of attenuating anywhere?).

Since the video output is available right at the modulator board, does it still need amplification if you're blowing away the modulator completely, or can it be run straight to the RCA jack? Same with the audio.

Also, since there is a single video output, is there a point where the sync/luma and chroma, already attentuated between 2600 and 7800, are ripe for the picking?

Thanks,

Rich

I'm not an engineer by any means. But s-video for the 7800 isn't nearly as straight forward as it is with other systems. To answer your question... it is a no. Far as I know all of the video signals that are in any combined form are only in composite video format. Because of this...all s-video mods on the 7800 have pretty much required you to take all the separate luma lines and the two separate TIA and MARIA colorburst signals and combine them into another encoder. From that encoder you then pull the normal combined luma and chroma signals you need for s-video etc. Bryan's UAV board he created because of attenuation issues with most of the other mods. So honestly if you want to get s-video from your 7800 and have it looking good, the UAV is the best way to go right now. You would have to send Bryan a PM regarding the availability of the UAV. He had stopped making them for a bit as he was wanting to redesign the board for better compatibility with the 5200 and some other things he wanted to change/add to it. But, he also is making up a small batch of them now as I've prepaid for some to be sent my way when he has those done.

These always seem to come out like adverts for Bryan's UAV, but the truth is, the UAV is the best composite and s-video solution all in one that exists currently for the 7800. So hopefully that kinda explains the difficulty in trying to get raw s-video from the 7800?