IGNORED

Pitfall 2 - How to Get to Level 2?

knievel1

AtariBrain - how did you get to it?

The game ends for me at Scooby & a blue wall raises. I can't move any direction or find anyway to continue after this.

Seems strange to me as beloved as this game is there wouldn't be a walkthrough?

Edited by knievel1

The game ends for me at Scooby & a blue wall raises. I can't move any direction or find anyway to continue after this.

I'm not sure, as I've never played the game on the Atari 5200 or Atari 8-bit computers. Played it many times on the 2600 when I was younger, so never felt the need to play it again on those other platforms. However, it would be fun to go back someday and play it again (probably on an Atari 8-bit computer since I can use a 2600 joystick) so I can experience the second level. I have heard it's pretty difficult.

Have you tried pressing "Start" on the 5200 controller?

..Al

Did you collect the ring and Rhonda ?

You have to get the ring, Rhonda and Quickclaw. Not sure if you have to get the cave rat as well, but once you collect them, a door will open up and Harry will automatically run through the door, leading to level 2.

And yes, level 2 is killer, but tons of fun! I've solved it a couple times, many MANY years ago. Might have to give it a whirl.

• Like 1

You have to get the ring, Rhonda and Quickclaw. Not sure if you have to get the cave rat as well, but once you collect them, a door will open up and Harry will automatically run through the door, leading to level 2.

And yes, level 2 is killer, but tons of fun! I've solved it a couple times, many MANY years ago. Might have to give it a whirl.

Good to know should I go and play it. I'm sure I have it in cart form for the 8-bit computers. :)

..Al

Map for Level 2 from KevinMos3.

Beginning of the thread in the above link shows the end screen.

A perfect score (504,000) captured via CRT too in a follow-up post is pretty impressive:

"The entire game took 33 minutes, 21 seconds. I reached Quickclaw at 11:43, the second maze took me 21:38 to complete."

Schmutzpuppe posted a hack for the 8-bit which starts on Level 2.

The same was performed by slampam and posted for the 5200.

Hint...

"Before Harry starts falling, hold the joystick to the right and press jump. He'll land safely on the platform below. A red X is just a screen away."

• Like 2

Wow - okay, you get Rhoda, ring and Scooby & do your dance and then appear on level 2.

It's way too hard to be much fun though.

The ants and psychobats, even with save state.

It's crazy.

If anyone makes a level 2 hack for 2600, maybe leave off the stupid bats/ants?

(Can you hack them out of the 5200?)

Does anyone know if this is on the Coleco version as well?

Same map?

There's a hack of the arcade version for Coleco so I'm gong through that as well.

Level 2 is definitely crazy hard, but once you get the hang of the psycho-enemies, it's not too bad. Reminds me of trying to jump over the scorpions in the original Pitfall! IIRC, your jumps over them need to be perfectly times (or at the very least, minimal room for error.) I always hated having to take the shortcut tunnels becuase the scorpions always gave me a hard time. I'm gonna have to fire up Pitfall II again and see if I can finish it. It's been YEARS!

Reminds me of trying to jump over the scorpions in the original Pitfall! IIRC, your jumps over them need to be perfectly times (or at the very least, minimal room for error.) I always hated having to take the shortcut tunnels becuase the scorpions always gave me a hard time.

Yes, the timing on 5200 Pitfall scorpion jump is far less forgiving than on the 2600 version for some reason. I hate that!

I've also played Level 2 of Pitfall II; and I've refined a map I found online, so I thought I'd post it here. What I've done is to add some paths you can go in order to collect all that's collectable. One difficulty of Level 2 is that there are some paths that cross each other, but you can't get from a platform to a ladder it crosses and vice-versa. The way I've expressed this is by using different colors for the paths, and I've only included the paths that make sense to go. I've divided the maze in zones so that if two paths cross this way, they are of different color, whereas paths that lead to each other basically have the same color. OK, they do have to change color eventually, but... I also tried to make each red cross the center of a zone with each cross having a zone in a different color. Since there are actually only a few ways into and out of each zone, it makes sense to finish the zones one after another. You start in the green zone, then you'd want to do the purple one, tackling the red one in between, but the red one is special in that it's actually impossible to get into it without hurting the player (other than with the trick mentioned above), but there's one spot where you can safely leave it and go back to the purple one.The next one would be the blue zone, followed by the yellow, green and dark red zones. From there you can only go back to the green, yellow and blue zone which leads into the orange and finally the pink one.

I hope this makes it a bit easier and clearer.

post-8393-0-63381600-1530563866_thumb.png

• Like 3