IGNORED

Wow..That’s Really A Nice Set

RugglesTx

That is a ridiculous price. :thumbsdown: These are not that hard to find.

Crazy price, no way Id pay that. Twice what its worth it not even more than twice.

But that looks very nice :0

That link you provided is very nice as well :0

I just bought a new Xbox One S last month

That 7800 you linked is even sexier ...

Edited by RugglesTx
  • Like 1

I had the same thought when the guys where talking about "fish tacos" on the Retron thread.

I thought you meant the Ataribox thread?

I like fish and I like tacos, but they are best enjoyed separately.

As for the OP, some collectards will overpay for anything. With some luck, you just gotta find the right "bait", and wait for a bite.

Another strategy I've seen employed by certain sellers is they will post some ludicrus BIN on a rare collectible, then curious buyers will browse that sellers goods and buy a more reasonably priced offering. The unicorn collectible acts as a carrot dangling in front of the buyer as free advertising to get more traffic in the store. I'll admit it has worked on me a few times. Seen something for sale offered at a redonkulous price and think to myself "what other junk is this asshat trying to pass off?" then find something a bit more reasonable and bought it, hook, line, and sinker. :dunce:

• Like 1

That 7800 in the auction isn't "new" by a long shot. It's not that great at all really. It's a lightly used system CIB with a few loose games. Nothing special at all. $150ish (maybe a little more, 7800 prices are nutty) would be a more realistic price. Maybe $170ish cause Ballblazer is a $20 game now that the O'shea's $1 to $5 endless stock of them is a thing of the past. :thumbsdown:

EDIT: I checked out the rest of that sellers stuff they have for sale and it's all insanely overpriced.

Definitely a nice set (box and inserts, etc.) but I see some scratches underneath the protective film on the faceplate! Mine has ZERO scratches! :-D

Also check out at the very top of the listing, under the condition of "New (Other)" - which is a joke and I hate when sellers list that when it's used, but note it says "1987 Atari 2600 VCS" umm nope!

Ok Im gonna change my original thread title from thats a nice set to thats a kinda sorta nice set

Except I do not know how to change thread titles so youll have to use your imagination!

I still think its sexy, but I have low standards!

Edited by RugglesTx
  • Like 1

It's fairly sexy, but beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder. This may be a personal pet peeve of mine, but it bothers me when people (whether Atari originally or resellers) mix and match the original format manual with the second-run console boxes (as seen here) or even vice-verse, but I may be in the minority on that!

Thats not the original box, either. The one with the purple lettering that is wider is the original. Dude is asking $1000 for something that is barely worth $150.

Box appears to be correct, however his console is an '88 model, not '87 (according to S/N A3 88 5148821). If you look at the my '89, it has the same box and my numbers match. My '87 console, has the other box (also matching numbers).

Trebor did a great job outlining the interpretation of possible manufacturing dates, here. :thumbsup:

Still, no matter how you slice it, this is not worth the asking price.

• Like 1

Box appears to be correct, however his console is an '88 model, not '87 (according to S/N A3 88 5148821). If you look at the my '89, it has the same box and my numbers match. My '87 console, has the other box (also matching numbers).

Trebor did a great job outlining the interpretation of possible manufacturing dates, here. :thumbsup:

Still, no matter how you slice it, this is not worth the asking price.

im not saying that its not the original box that specific system came in. It probably is. Im saying that box style is not the original 7800 box. Its from the later, lesser quality, end-stage Atari released cost cutting models.

Ok Im gonna change my original thread title from thats a nice set to thats a kinda sorta nice set

Except I do not know how to change thread titles so youll have to use your imagination!

I still think its sexy, but I have low standards!

You can't. Once the egg is on your face you can't wash it off :P

im not saying that its not the original box that specific system came in. It probably is. Im saying that box style is not the original 7800 box. Its from the later, lesser quality, end-stage Atari released cost cutting models.

I see, you are correct. Its not a box or console from '84. :)

So the nice set is due to that unit getttng a box job or at least a box lift? Bet the owner is from California or maybe New Jersey..

Edited by RugglesTx