IGNORED

VCS/2600 Game Rarity by Number of Known Copies

Blazing Lazers

We still only have the ONE true authentic found in the wild Gamma Attack cartridge which I believe is with Wonder007. The controversial second one which was hyped up by either the programmer or his son, is more of a prototype or test cart. Totally different & non matching to the real deal.

With Regards to Birthday Mania, we still have just the one true authentic cart.

When it comes to the 3 Answer Software games, youve got a mess to contend with there.

Malagai is obviously the most common of the 3. Enough of them have surfaced, and in circulated conditions, that there is no doubt of its status as an official release & part of a complete set.

Gauntlet is a bit controversial, but, we do have multiple owners of the cart out there. Perhaps 3 to 5 at most. We also have authentic mask roms of the game.

Confrontation however in as far as I was told, was never available. Why suddenly it is being talked about as an official release is a surprise to me. Its always been a proto, nothing more. And Ive never seen a real cart or rom chip.

But what really scares me is how Red Sea Crossing is slowly turning up. Reason being it is hands down the easiest 2600 cart to fake. I dont trust any of them now, other then the 2 originals found.

I agree on gammna attack there are 2 but only 1 is truly an original so far.

Yes birthday mania there is 1 for sure and a possible 2nd claimed by the owner with no evidence ever provided.

Malagai and gauntlet I think have to be counted even though especially gauntlets distribution had to be next to nothing.

I agree though I never have considered confrontation to be a possible original release. And I still agree it's just a couple copies maybe that people who attended that ces show were lucky enough to get a chance to purchase later. That's not a release.

I think this pic is the only known copy unless anyone else has more info.

it does have a shell and label but obviously not anything with production quality.

The manual did get made but they basically used it as an advertisement flyer too.

post-26050-0-83482900-1545754602.jpg

I agree I would be afraid about buying any copy of rsc. And I think this fear is playing a big part in the price drop off.

• Like 1

Yes, I saw that Confrontation cart pic on Atarimania. And that pic speaks volumes.

- the cart shell is an Apollo style rather then an Answer style shell.

- the cart sticker & type print on it is consistent with a prototype label

- the cart board must have an eprom under the metal shield because it has a hex inverter on it.

Not to mention that no one has ever even claimed to having a production cart of the game anyhow.

The only thing worse then a lack of information is the perpetration & spreading of misinformation.

• Like 2

Supergun I'm not trying to spread misinformation at all but as I look at all the evidence I believe this game was technically available for sale even if no copies have surfaced yet. All the coversations I've read lean towards it being demonstrated at the CES show and only people that attended knew of its existance and the only ones that knew that you could order it. That copy may be a complete prototype cartridge and who knows if it was mailed to someone or not when they had an order and funds dried up. That's anyone's guess as to whether any more copies sold or not.

• Like 1

I agree on gammna attack there are 2 but only 1 is truly an original so far.

Yes birthday mania there is 1 for sure and a possible 2nd claimed by the owner with no evidence ever provided.

Malagai and gauntlet I think have to be counted even though especially gauntlets distribution had to be next to nothing.

I agree though I never have considered confrontation to be a possible original release. And I still agree it's just a couple copies maybe that people who attended that ces show were lucky enough to get a chance to purchase later. That's not a release.

I think this pic is the only known copy unless anyone else has more info.

it does have a shell and label but obviously not anything with production quality.

The manual did get made but they basically used it as an advertisement flyer too.

attachicon.gifconfrontation_cart.jpg

I agree I would be afraid about buying any copy of rsc. And I think this fear is playing a big part in the price drop off.

Just out of curiosity, was the 2600 actually referred to as the Atari 2600 in the 80's? I always that was a modern way of referring to it.

We're talking 1983 here specifically...

Edited by R.Cade

• 2 weeks later...

Updated the list in light of this new, 4th RSC turning up:

1x copy: Birthday Mania / Gamma Attack

(*) 2x copies: Cat Trax (if it wasn't just a commercial sample)

2x copies: monogrammed Space Chase

3x copies: Ultravision Karate

4x copies: Red Sea Crossing

5x copies: Extra Terrestrials

6x copies: Gauntlet

15x copies: Eli's Ladder

20x copies: Air Raid

23x copies: Magicard

28x copies: Pepsi Invaders

Wait, four Red Sea Crossings? I thought there was still only two. When were the other two sold?

There are 5 now.

1 currently on eBay.

1 sold a couple months ago on eBay.

3rd copy still not sold publicly but found this spring, this 1 has not been on ebay.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F401664055515

Edited by stupus
  • Like 1

Yes, I saw that Confrontation cart pic on Atarimania. And that pic speaks volumes.

- the cart board must have an eprom under the metal shield because it has a hex inverter on it.

A bit off-topic, but what is the purpose of the metal shield? I have never seen a cartridge with one before.

Updated the list in light of this new, 5th RSC turning up:

1x copy: Birthday Mania / Gamma Attack/ Confrontation (if considered)
(*) 2x copies: Cat Trax (if it wasn't just a commercial sample)
2x copies: monogrammed Space Chase
3x copies: Ultravision Karate
5x copies: Extra Terrestrials/ Red Sea Crossing
6x copies: Gauntlet

15x copies: Eli's Ladder
20x copies: Air Raid
23x copies: Magicard
28x copies: Pepsi Invaders

...I would also note that Confrontation could easily be considered a release of sorts, or at a minimum a legit cart from back in the day and thus still part of an NTSC "full set". While Supergun correctly notes that the build quality of the known copy (copies?) is not that of a full, professional release, the evidence and known lore still suggests that people had the opportunity back in the day to buy a copy, even if it was just at one trade show. Somebody, somewhere, even if under some very specific conditions, still had the opportunity to add this to their Atari library either via buying it or by being given it. Not so different than Pepsi Invaders, which was also just given away (not even sold!) at one convention back in the day, though that was in much larger numbers. Birthday Mania really isn't that much different- one had to have read one specific newspaper from one specific part of the US and happen to notice the ad for it to even know of the opportunity to buy it. Yet it is still counted. Yet, only one copy seems to be confirmed to still exist. For now, I'm going to consider it as valid as other entries on this tracking list, and hope that somebody who was at the actual convention in question can shed further light on this title.

I am curious about Lochjaw, Asterix and Nightmare. How many copies of each of those are known?

Lochjaw? Who knows. Probably few enough to keep it an R9. Not more than a few dozen, in all likelihood.

Asterix? Possibly fewer, but I'd have to look into this one. It is one of the few that I've never seen in person, and I have seen several different Lochjaw copies.

Nightmare, aka Stuntman? It's not even an NTSC game, or is it? This recent post was a little vague on that, but one was available back in the day via Kay-Bee:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/284111-help-stuntman-or-nightmare/

There is at least 1 ntsc nightmare.

I don't see anyway to count confrontation as an official release.

It was not sold at ces.

It was shown there and a couple people who later inquired about it were sold what appears to be the original prototypes.

That is not a opportunity where any random person from the public was given some type of opportunity to buy the game.

Birthday mania was advertised and anybody who saw that ad could have theoretically purchased it. Same goes for rsc and gamma.

That makes them much different then confrontation.

I am very interested regardless to know how many copies may exist of it.

• Like 2

There is at least 1 ntsc nightmare.

I don't see anyway to count confrontation as an official release.

It was not sold at ces.

It was shown there and a couple people who later inquired about it were sold what appears to be the original prototypes.

That is not a opportunity where any random person from the public was given some type of opportunity to buy the game.

Birthday mania was advertised and anybody who saw that ad could have theoretically purchased it. Same goes for rsc and gamma.

That makes them much different then confrontation.

I am very interested regardless to know how many copies may exist of it.

There is an NTSC Nightmare? That I did not know, but should that be added to the list above? Or is there just not enough evidence presently known? I'm really curious on this! :)

As for Confrontation, has it been confirmed that it wasn't offered at CES, and that only a few (remarkably farsighted) persons in attendance had the presence of mind to ask about buying copies, and Answer decided to sell the few prototype copies they had lying around? I totally agree that that makes it a much looser and informal release than Birthday, Red Sea, and Gamma, but how does that compare to Pepsi Invaders, which was simply given away and not even offered for sale? "Coke Wins" wasn't even advertised as far as I've ever heard, but nobody leaves it off the collection checklists.