IGNORED

What do you guys think about this case coloring?

I've been trying to decide whether or not to retrobright my case. It had a few greasy, fingerprinty spots, but some hot soapy water and a scrub brush has the case looking pretty good. I'm not seeing any yellowing, or if there is, it's really slight to my old eyes. The case coloring seems extremely uniform and consistent to me, which I wouldn't expect to see if there were evidence of yellowing or any other sort of discoloration, age-related or otherwise.

What do you guys think? Does this case look pretty close to original color?

The keys, now, are another story altogether. They've already soaked and been scrubbed in hot soapy water and are in definite need of some retrobrighting. I'm not sure how much sun we're supposed to get tomorrow but, unless it's completely clouded over, I think they'll be getting their first batch tomorrow, which will also be my first attempt at the process, even though I feel like I've watched 387 retrobrighting/Atari ST restoration videos.

Thanks for any replies.

post-39087-0-39792700-1540784814_thumb.jpg

post-39087-0-50997000-1540784824_thumb.jpg

Edited by bfollowell

Doesn’t look bad at all. What’s the inside look like? Whatever you do do not put retro bright on it and wrap it in plastic or you will get a blooming or the marbled effect which will ruining your case!

Edited by tjlazer

It's a little warmer in color than it probably was originally, but I don't think I'd retrobrite it. I don't actually think these were 100% grey to begin with - I used one at the time they were current, and I have one now and have photographed it in different light and it definitely shifts in appearance depending on that. So I probably wouldn't worry about it.

I do think your white balance on the photos itself is probably a little on the warm side, which is affecting its appearance here. Mine can look like that if my camera doesn't have a good white reference point.

I didn't get my first ST until around nine years after initial release, and the second around four or five years later. Probably way too early to see any age-related color issues, but they almost immediately went into storage and haven't been exposed to UV since then. They've been stored enclosed in dark boxes ever since. However, those boxes have been stored in various garages, basements, and attic for at least the last twenty years, and the past five in an attic with wild temperature swings, getting fairly warm in the summer.

While the case doesn't seem yellowed to me, and is really uniform and consistent, it does seem just a tiny bit darker than I recall STs being, but if this were due to any sort of age or heat related issues, I certainly wouldn't expect it to look this uniform in color, even if it does seem a shade or two darker.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease. I think I'm going to retrobright the keys and leave the case alone other than putting on a new case badge. I think I'll pull my old 520ST and my two SF314 drives out and compare the coloring among them.