IGNORED

Top of the line replacement power supply for the Atari 2600, etc

HDTV1080P

The original power supply that ships with the Atari 2600 video game consoles is the Atari CO16353 (It requires a input voltage of 120 volts AC at 60Hz). Atari used a low cost unregulated 9 volt DC power supply at 0.5 amps capacity. This Atari CO16353 unregulated power supply outputs around 14.47 volts DC when there is no load. As soon as this Atari C016353 unregulated power supply is connected to an Atari 2600 videogame system it outputs around 9 volts DC when under a load. The only real advantage of the Atari CO16353 power supply is that it has a 16 feet cord. On today’s power supplies, one is lucky if they can even find 6 feet. To get a 16 feet cord today on a power supply one would need to custom order a minimum QTY of 500 from China.

Effective February 10th 2016, the Department of Energy (DOE) passed a law that all external power supplies manufactured or imported into the United States is required to be Energy Efficient level VI. Any existing external power supplies manufactured or imported into the United States before February 10th 2016 are except and dealers can continue to sale old stock that is not level VI complaint. There are a massive amount of Atari 2600 compatible power adapters being sold on Amazon, EBAY, and other websites that are not level VI energy efficient (Either dealers have old stock or there are some companies violating the DOE manufacturing and import law). As of January 2019 there is only one external power supply on the market that is both Energy Efficient level VI and is also 100% compatible with the Atari 2600 videogame system. The CUI SWI6-9-N-P1 power adapter can be purchased from Digi-Key Electronics for around $10.96 each plus shipping.

The CUI SWI6-9-N-P1 is a high end regulated power supply for the Atari 2600

The CUI SWI6-9-N-P1 accepts an input voltage between 100-240 volts at 50/60Hz. This is a regulated 9 volt DC power supply that provides a stable 9.17 volts DC between 0 amps to 0.67 amps (uses 3.5mm phono plug with a positive tip). So as long as the connected device does not need anymore then 0.67 amps this power supply well provide a stable 9 volts DC output (around 9.17 volts DC output). This CUI power supply is more powerful when compared to the original ATARI CO16353 power supply and it can power anything connected to the ATARI 2600. This CUI power supply has a Ferrite Bead on the power cord to eliminate or reduce EMI/RFI noise, which results in no video and audio interference from the power source. The CUI SWI6-9-N-P1 is UL listed, FCC certified, ROHS complaint, and has the required Energy Efficiency level VI rating.

Overall, this CUI power supply that is made in China is a better power adapter when compared to the ATARI CO16353, except for the power cord being only around 4.92 feet long versus 16 feet for the original ATARI CO16353 power supply.

The high-end CUI SWI6-9-N-P1 power adapter is 100% compatible with the following systems

ATARI 2600

ATARI Video Pinball

ATARI Stunt Cycle

Coleco Gemini

Coleco Telstar

post-10892-0-27870900-1548239006_thumb.jpg

post-10892-0-86991600-1548239070_thumb.jpg

post-10892-0-62692100-1548239132_thumb.jpg

Edited by HDTV1080P

The original power supply that ships with the Atari 2600 video game consoles is the Atari CO16353 (It requires a input voltage of 120 volts AC at 60Hz). Atari used a low cost unregulated 9 volt DC power supply at 0.5 amps capacity. This Atari CO16353 unregulated power supply outputs around 14.47 volts DC when there is no load. As soon as this Atari C016353 unregulated power supply is connected to an Atari 2600 videogame system it outputs around 9 volts DC when under a load. The only real advantage of the Atari CO16353 power supply is that it has a 16 feet cord. On today’s power supplies, one is lucky if they can even find 6 feet. To get a 16 feet cord today on a power supply one would need to custom order a minimum QTY of 500 from China.

Effective February 10th 2016, the Department of Energy (DOE) passed a law that all external power supplies manufactured or imported into the United States is required to be Energy Efficient level VI. Any existing external power supplies manufactured or imported into the United States before February 10th 2016 are except and dealers can continue to sale old stock that is not level VI complaint. There are a massive amount of Atari 2600 compatible power adapters being sold on Amazon, EBAY, and other websites that are not level VI energy efficient (Either dealers have old stock or there are some companies violating the DOE manufacturing and import law). As of January 2019 there is only one external power supply on the market that is both Energy Efficient level VI and is also 100% compatible with the Atari 2600 videogame system. The CUI SWI6-9-N-P1 power adapter can be purchased from Digi-Key Electronics for around $10.96 each plus shipping.

The CUI SWI6-9-N-P1 is a high end regulated power supply for the Atari 2600

The CUI SWI6-9-N-P1 accepts an input voltage between 100-240 volts at 50/60Hz. This is a regulated 9 volt DC power supply that provides a stable 9.17 volts DC between 0 amps to 0.67 amps (uses 3.5mm phono plug with a positive tip). So as long as the connected device does not need anymore then 0.67 amps this power supply well provide a stable 9 volts DC output (around 9.17 volts DC output). This CUI power supply is more powerful when compared to the original ATARI CO16353 power supply and it can power anything connected to the ATARI 2600. This CUI power supply has a Ferrite Bead on the power cord to eliminate or reduce EMI/RFI noise, which results in no video and audio interference from the power source. The CUI SWI6-9-N-P1 is UL listed, FCC certified, ROHS complaint, and has the required Energy Efficiency level VI rating.

Overall, this CUI power supply that is made in China is a better power adapter when compared to the ATARI CO16353, except for the power cord being only around 4.92 feet long versus 16 feet for the original ATARI CO16353 power supply.

The high-end CUI SWI6-9-N-P1 power adapter is 100% compatible with the following systems

ATARI 2600

ATARI Video Pinball

ATARI Stunt Cycle

Coleco Gemini

Coleco Telstar

No offense but I'll stick with the one that was designed for it rather than go 3rd party a 2nd time, I've learned my lesson from the last fiasco, not doing it again.

No offense but I'll stick with the one that was designed for it rather than go 3rd party a 2nd time, I've learned my lesson from the last fiasco, not doing it again.

That is cool, the original ATARI cord is 16 feet long. The one issue is the original ATARI power supplies are not being made anymore, and at some point a third party power supply well be needed when dealers run out of stock on new and used ATARI power supplies. Plus one can use a NTSC console in a country that has 220 volts with a third party power supply as long as they have a TV that supports NTSC.

That is cool, the original ATARI cord is 16 feet long. The one issue is the original ATARI power supplies are not being made anymore, and at some point a third party power supply well be needed when dealers run out of stock on new and used ATARI power supplies. Plus one can use a NTSC console in a country that has 220 volts with a third party power supply as long as they have a TV that supports NTSC.

The only thing with THIS power supply that concerns me is it lists WATTS but not the milliamps

The only thing with THIS power supply that concerns me is it lists WATTS but not the milliamps

It lists both on the regulated CUI 9 volt DC adapter. The output is always 9 volts DC on the CUI SWI6-9-N-P1, and it outputs up to 0.67 amps (670ma) and watts at 6.03. The ATARI C016353 DC adapter is a unregulated power supply that outputs around 14.47 volts DC with no load and around 9 volts DC under a load. The ATARI adapter has a 0.5 amps (500ma capacity). The ATARI adapter has a 4.5 watt output and a 11 watt input.

Edited by HDTV1080P

If that was the case it would be trivial to calculate it using Ohm's law.

But there's no need for that as the max current is clearly indicated on the power supply: 0.67 A

BTW, I prefer using a 7.5V regulated supply which keeps the 7805 regulator cooler.

Ohms law I have used many times in my life. I was not aware the ATARI 2600 operated as low as 7.5 volts DC. If it works fine with all cartridges including the Supercharger then that is awesome. Some third party power supplies people are using for the ATARI 2600 are 14 or 15 volts DC and it heats up and ages the components more. People should not use more than 9 volts DC when powering their ATARI 2600 or it could result in damage over time.

Edited by HDTV1080P

I purchased a second used ATARI 2600 junior recently since the first one I purchased had some cosmetic damage. I noticed that the second ATARI 2600 junior came with a different model ATARI power supply. The ATARI CO10472 is a little bit more energy efficient since the input wattage is 9 watts instead of 11 watts that the CO16353 uses. The input watts used is the only difference between the two ATARI adapters. The CO10472 has a long cord that is a few inches over 16 feet. The CO10472 is rated at 120 volts 60Hz at 9 watts. And the output is 9 volts DC at up to 0.5 amps (500ma) when under a load. In addition, UL listed ATARI adapter. The CO10472 is a unregulated power supply that measures around 14.63 volts DC with no load, and around 9 volts DC under a load.

post-10892-0-63869400-1548503790_thumb.jpg

Edited by HDTV1080P

Ohms law I have used many times in my life. I was not aware the ATARI 2600 operated as low as 7.5 volts DC. If it works fine with all cartridges including the Supercharger then that is awesome. Some third party power supplies people are using for the ATARI 2600 are 14 or 15 volts DC and it heats up and ages the components more. People should not use more than 9 volts DC when powering their ATARI 2600 or it could result in damage over time.

The 2600 technically operates at 5v. But the 7805 voltage regulator needs about 2-2.5v above 5v to operate. So you can use 7.5v input.

Also, since everything past the regulator runs on 5v, the cartridges and supercharger don't care if you are in putting in 7.5v or 20v. They only see 5v regardless. What they can do is increase current draw, which has nothing to do with input voltage (as long as the supply is rated for the increased current).

And keep in mind many 9v linear power supplys read 14-15v with no load. But once the 2600 is powered on, it drops to 9v. So they will not increase heat. That only happens if you use a regulated supply above 9v.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The 2600 technically operates at 5v. But the 7805 voltage regulator needs about 2-2.5v above 5v to operate. So you can use 7.5v input.

Also, since everything past the regulator runs on 5v, the cartridges and supercharger don't care

Would it make sense then to bypass the regulator and use a USB-C-ish power connection - other than the effect on "originality" (I'm sure there's a better word for that), it could make the 2600 last longer, and probably could be made to be reversible?

Would it make sense then to bypass the regulator and use a USB-C-ish power connection - other than the effect on "originality" (I'm sure there's a better word for that), it could make the 2600 last longer, and probably could be made to be reversible?

But then one would need to have to internally modify their ATARI 2600 so that it accepts a native 5 volt DC power supply with either a USB plug or barrel plug. Personally I would rather leave the ATARI 2600 unmodified and just use a 9 volt DC adapter that many people have been using for several decades with no problems.

• Like 1

There's only really one component that gets stressed by using the stock setup, that's the voltage regulator (its not even that stressed at 12 volts input) ... and it probably the most robust active component in the system

If you are concerned about heat from the 7805 regulator, they make drop in replacement DC-DC converters for 78xx regulators. They are switching, so they run cool. They could generate some extra electrical noise. But it sounds like in most older consoles there is no negative impact from using them.

I personally have not used them. But another member ( -^Cro§Bow^- ) just mentioned he's used them in a few consoles over in one of the Intellivision threads. He would probably be your best bet for more info.

Edited by nick3092