IGNORED

Touchdown Football Review...

gorfcadet

Ok so I timed this one with Super Bowl weekend. Not my favorite by any stretch. I can appreciate the idea of it, but the game itself and even the box art feels unfinished. The passing game to me is more work than it's worth. The lack of working field goals tells me there was virtually no testing of the game.

What do you all think?

• Like 4

What do you all think?

Right after the Atari BIOS check/logo finishes and the title screen appears, the best part of this game is being experienced.

Proceed to turn off the console and remove the cartridge after that point.

There is a steep decline - think, chasm - in anything even worth mentioning after the title screen.

I really want to get Ninja Golf so I can review it on real hardware. I've always been so curious about that one. I like One on One and BBrawl quite a bit.

:thumbsup:

For me, Ninja Golf is a top ten game for the 7800.

• Like 2

*Sigh*

Well, I like the title screen, and the scrolling gridiron...and that's about it. I'm not too hard to please when it comes to sports games; give me simple arcade action and I'm generally pretty happy. But, Touchdown Football, it just doesn't work. I've never played it two player, granted, but something tells me it doesn't matter.

Funny that the definitive football game for the 7800 at that time was actually a 2600 title: Super Football. A much better, more impressive game by far. (IMO)

Edited by King Atari
  • Like 1

I let a couple of my students, senior broadcast kids, play this in my lab yesterday and between the two of them two passes were completed. It was interesting to see what today's kids thought of it and I definitely felt better knowing it wasn't just me who couldn't figure this game's offense out.

I let them play NFL Blitz after to show them not all retro games were devoid of fun in the modern era. Then I got them addicted to Baby Pac-Man.

• Like 1

This game wasn’t close to being finished so they shipped it anyway. Of course there was zero testing. Impossible kicks!

This reminds me of the book in the film ELF which ships even though the final chapter is missing. They didn’t care! $$$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

This game wasn’t close to being finished so they shipped it anyway. Of course there was zero testing. Impossible kicks!

Is that actually the case? My understanding is that the computer game it was ported from was equally terrible and that this was simply an ok port of a really poor game.

I always go back to the original Atarian review of this title myself. When the reviewer of the company sponsored magazine (which tends not to say anything back about company product) talks about the "spectacular title screen", you know they're struggling to find something good to say.

Edited by DracIsBack
  • Like 1

*Sigh*

Well, I like the title screen, and the scrolling gridiron...and that's about it. I'm not too hard to please when it comes to sports games; give me simple arcade action and I'm generally pretty happy. But, Touchdown Football, it just doesn't work. I've never played it two player, granted, but something tells me it doesn't matter.

Funny that the definitive football game for the 7800 at that time was actually a 2600 title: Super Football. A much better, more impressive game by far. (IMO)

True story. Super Football was also slated to come out for the XE Game System in September 1989, but it never did. I haven't heard much about a prototype being found anywhere of this one either. I can only assume it's an enhanced version of the 2600 game.

• Like 2

True story. Super Football was also slated to come out for the XE Game System in September 1989, but it never did. I haven't heard much about a prototype being found anywhere of this one either. I can only assume it's an enhanced version of the 2600 game.

I did not know that! If they did indeed plan on using the 2600 version as the template, that could have really been something. I wonder why they didn't plan on a 7800 version as well? (Unless they did?) This reminds me of those seemingly-impressive (haven't played them) ports of Commando and Xenophobe that went unreleased on the XEGS, despite corresponding 7800 versions.

I did not know that! If they did indeed plan on using the 2600 version as the template, that could have really been something. I wonder why they didn't plan on a 7800 version as well? (Unless they did?) This reminds me of those seemingly-impressive (haven't played them) ports of Commando and Xenophobe that went unreleased on the XEGS, despite corresponding 7800 versions.

Yep! Saw it on Lance's (of Video61 fame) official Atari 1989 Distributor Price List that he has linked on his site. Here's a copy of the relevant Atari XE page that references Super Football for the XEGS. Has a model number and everything. I haven't come across any info on it other than that - my guess is they never started work on it at all, but that's just a hunch.

Yes, those prototypes are great! I recently acquired CIB versions of Commando, Xenophobe, Midi Maze, Tower Toppler, Mean 18 and Deflektor. User ndary here on AA made them for me. He removed the bugs that existed in Tower Toppler, Deflektor and Mean 18 and otherwise polished them off. The other three I think were already basically complete. I highly recommend contacting him if you're interested - he may be willing to make you some that interest you, too.

post-47330-0-05543600-1549583304.jpg

• Like 2

Is that actually the case? My understanding is that the computer game it was ported from was equally terrible and that this was simply an ok port of a really poor game.

No way this game was ready to be shipped with an impossible kicking game issue. Someone ran out of money...then Jack said, “Ship it anyway.”

Seems Atari had many non-gamers making big awful decisions. Just look at the 5200 & 7800 joysticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

No way this game was ready to be shipped with an impossible kicking game issue. Someone ran out of money...then Jack said, “Ship it anyway.”

Seems Atari had many non-gamers making big awful decisions. Just look at the 5200 & 7800 joysticks.

I haven't played it and I'm assuming you haven't either. But I have heard others say that the original is terrible.

I still hold out with child-like hope that someday, some talented person will fix Touchdown Football so that I can buy the improved cartridge at the AA store!

I mean really......the basic framework is already in place. The field looks good. Speed up the players, make it possible to throw more than 10 yards and repair the kicking game. Throw in statistics after each score or quarter for good measure.

Someday..........sniff sniff sniffle

• Like 1

I still hold out with child-like hope that someday, some talented person will fix Touchdown Football so that I can buy the improved cartridge at the AA store!

I mean really......the basic framework is already in place. The field looks good. Speed up the players, make it possible to throw more than 10 yards and repair the kicking game. Throw in statistics after each score or quarter for good measure.

Someday..........sniff sniff sniffle

And some jumbotron graphics for touchdowns! I know. That would be nice.

Or someone can port Tecmo Super Bowl and we can forget that this game ever existed!

This.. so much THIS! Since we're wishing, I wish for a Tecmo bowl port that supports the SEGA Zero Tolerance link cable so we can link two 7800s together and each play on a private screen so no play call peekers and SD card support for team roster updates! I wish big. :)

This.. so much THIS! Since we're wishing, I wish for a Tecmo bowl port that supports the SEGA Zero Tolerance link cable so we can link two 7800s together and each play on a private screen so no play call peekers and SD card support for team roster updates! I wish big. :)

Now we're talkin'. That would be a blast!