IGNORED

Will Early 520 Take A Modulator?

I have a fairly early NTSC 520; there is no modulator and no hole in the case for one but the board appears to have a space for one and through holes for R, G, B, H-sync, V-sync, etc.

So, does anyone know if a modulator can be successfully to one of these ST's?

Edited by yell0w_lantern

You may be better off finding a external RGB/VGA to RF converter. There’s got to be one on eBay or Amazon. The result will be the same, if not better, and you won’t have to worry about soldering components on the board.

Just curious ... why do you want to use a RF modulated TV based video output? :)

RF (or preferably composite) would minimize the number of extra things I would have to plug in and hook up every time I haul out the ST. I can use my GBS 8200 to run the ST on my flat screen and that works but the setup is bulky and I have even less room left oon the surge protector to plug in my external Gotek drive.

I have a fairly early NTSC 520; there is no modulator and no hole in the case for one but the board appears to have a space for one and through holes for R, G, B, H-sync, V-sync, etc.

So, does anyone know if a modulator can be successfully to one of these ST's?

It should. I know people retrofitted the rf modulator like 30 years ago, but even then it was not a common thing, since it was easier and cheaper to get an RGB monitor, or even trade your ST for one with rf, if there was any limits to board revisions etc I have no idea and/or don't remember...

If the reason is that you want/need composite, you should be able to add just that, without having to fit the whole rf module. But I suspect it may be easier and cheaper to find an external box for that.

But I'm afraid you are on your own here, rf has always been something people tried to avoid, even back then.

Edited by Greenious