IGNORED

Possible to engineer new ST keyboard?

It's a topic that's been discussed a few times over the years, but I don't know of anyone actually doing it, yet.

But there's actually a quite lively "diy keyboard" scene, though it is primarily geared towards PC, just google it. Almost all parts needed are readily available. switches, keycaps etc. and people have come up with some amazing designs, and my personal favourites must be the steampunk inspired keyboards people have made...

It's the case/layout that is a bit of a problem if you want something looking atari'ish...

You could start out with an atari IKBD CPU, either pulled from a broken keyboard, or bought from Best etc, you got the keyboard schematics available at https://www.dev-docs.org/docs/ From there designing a PCB shouldn't be too hard, however the case is going to be harder, although with a modern 3D printer easier than in the past.

Or you could base it on a regular PC design, either integrating a eifel interface for ps/2 designs, or, using a raspberry pie, you could make an adapter working with USB.

(atleast 2 onging projects using raspberry pie adapts usb keyboards/mouse etc to the ST, a Pi zero can be bought for as little as $5, so it's a cheap solution)

I do wish you good luck, and if you get this off the ground, I'm pretty sure there are many people interested in buying one...

Edited by Greenious

There has been a project for a mechanical c64 keyboard, and currently one for the wedge Amigas, and he is also next going to be doing big box Amigas (totally want a Cherry MX keyboard for my A4000. Was looking a bit into seeing what would be required for a mechanichal ST / Falcon one. Would love it. I have bought the TT touch for my Falcon and 1040STe, and it does make them nicer to type on, but not as nice as my Roccat Ryos keyboards.