IGNORED

Atari 2600 won’t play

Tpapp54321

Hello! I bought my first Atari 2600 the other day, but unfortunately it doesnt work... plugging it in with a game yields just a black screen. With no game plugged in the console cycles through a couple colorful screens with lines but more often then not a scrolling screen with black garbage or just a black screen similar to when a games plugged in. I unfortunately paid $40 for this so Id like to get it fixed if possible, any ideas?

post-45573-0-36793800-1552937780_thumb.jpeg

post-45573-0-66966100-1552937804_thumb.jpeg

post-45573-0-45626400-1552937837_thumb.jpeg

Some of those pictures look typical of dirty cartridge and/or port contacts. I'd try cleaning them because it could be that simple.

You should be able to search out a number of threads covering that subject.

On the other hand, at least one doesn't quite look like I'd expect. The last one looks like it's rendering some elements correctly but not others. That could be a deeper problem.

Edited by BigO

I'm of the opinion it might be on the wrong channel selection on the Atari? I was working with an Intellivision last night that was given similar results and then one game I could partially see the title screen and though the RF needed adjustment. Checked the channel switch and it was in the wrong position and as soon as I flipped it, boom! Nice clear picture. So it would seem that my modern TV has an auto tuner in it to try and find and lock in on analog signals. As such, it was just able to almost lock in and show me something when the system was in channel 4 for TV set for channel 3.

So...clean those cartridges well and make sure you have the TV and the Atari on the correct channel.

Also, some TVs have to lock-in to see the Atari. To do this, you have to turn it on with a game in it and then set your TV to auto scan on the analog (Cable/Ant) input. Pretty much a given I have to do this with all new TVs if I plan to use the Coax input on them.