IGNORED

Looking for Ariolasoft originals

Farb

Hi all,

We're looking for the following original disks from Ariolasoft to dump for the preservation project. I believe these all came in the "LP-style" packaging.

0° Nord

Atlantis

Bundesliga

Cavelord

Cromwell House

Déjà Vu: Eine Phantastische Geschichte

Hotel

Memo Box

Mythos I

Nibelungen

Schreckenstein

Slot-Machine

Can anyone help out?

• 2 years later...

Coming back to this quite old thread: Is there a bug free version of the Axis Cavelord disk somewhere available for download?

The version from Atarimania unfortunately has garbled graphics at the botton of the cave... :(

grafik.thumb.png.95025bf8972d3662526289c3f1f8837f.png

I had a quick look at the version from Atari Deutschland but it looks like the data is completely different organized on this version.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Bacardi said:

Coming back to this quite old thread: Is there a bug free version of the Axis Cavelord disk somewhere available for download?

The version from Atarimania unfortunately has garbled graphics at the botton of the cave... :(

This is one of the darn Ariolasoft titles which overwrite two random sectors every time you boot the disk. The Atarimania dump was overwritten twice.

Try this version taken from an a8preservation ATX which seems unaltered:

Cavelord (1985)(Ariolasoft)(DE)[cr CSS].atr

Edited by DjayBee
  • Like 1

Works for me.

As Mclaneinc wrote: Some needed code probably was overwritten during an earlier try. This happened to me as well while I tried to find your problem.

XL: BASIC does not care

400/800: no BASIC and the scrolling text shows complete garbage because the loader uses the international charset which only XLs have. Afterwards the game runs unless you run in NTSC.

Accurate disk timing is not really needed but the game crashes if the underlying sector loading ends before the scroller because the code that holds the VBI scrolling code gets erased.

Cavelord is a 2017 crack where I did not know all of this.

If later today I find some time, I will release a fixed version based on my findings for Hotel which no longer tries to overwrite sectors and which disables the VBI before erasing its code.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On Altirra I had to make sure every way to write to the disk was off or you got the screen garbage. Took me a while to realise that I that I had Virtual read write set in tools / options, media, and not just in the disk settings, putting all that to read only made it work properly. Sly little game :)

Looking forward to your "no need to worry" crack DjayBee..

Paul..

Edited by Mclaneinc

Cavelord...  I seem to remember this being a German game and somehow I had some help translating it into English. I don't remember if I sector edited it or it had a BASIC listing which I edited. I do remember changing Schlussel which means Key. The translations made the game immediately playable. I don't think I still have the disk. It didn't have the problems mentioned here as it was a program and not a boot disk. I also seem to recall it was on a public domain or something disk. Maybe I'm thinking of a different game but having seen gameplay video on YouTube some time ago maybe not.

20 hours ago, DjayBee said:

This is one of the darn Ariolasoft titles which overwrite two random sectors every time you boot the disk.

Is this some bizarre copy protection mechanism? I cannot understand what possible purpose would be served by intentionally corrupting the disk.  

4 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

On Altirra I had to make sure every way to write to the disk was off or you got the screen garbage. Took me a while to realise that I that I had Virtual read write set in tools / options, media, and not just in the disk settings, putting all that to read only made it work properly. Sly little game :)

Looking forward to your "no need to worry" crack DjayBee..

Paul..

Thanks Paul, indeed it was the RW switch which was not set to "read only"!

Looking forward for a dummy-prooved version! - haha!

29 minutes ago, jhd said:

Is this some bizarre copy protection mechanism? I cannot understand what possible purpose would be served by intentionally corrupting the disk.  

It's not really a copy protection but more some sort of revenge.

The original disk is write protected, so it can only do bad things with copies.

• Thanks 2

Was just playing it and got to the second level (was testing a cheat out) and got to a part where the ground was corrupted, I checked all the media was R/O, which it was so wonder if he also protected the life code against dirty nasty people like me :)

$609

Phew, this was a lot more work than expected.

Contrary to Hotel the disk is encrypted.

The overwrite code exists twice and also runs twice.

And finally I needed to find a place to deactivate the VBI because the loader differs a huge lot between Hotel and Cavelord.

Please give it a try:

Cavelord (1985)(Ariolasoft)(DE)[cr CSS]v2.atr

It should no longer try to overwrite random sectors and with enabled SIO patch the VBI should get terminated before it gets overwritten by loaded code.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

Was just playing it and got to the second level (was testing a cheat out) and got to a part where the ground was corrupted, I checked all the media was R/O, which it was so wonder if he also protected the life code against dirty nasty people like me :)

$609

thanks for providing the memory location for life ;) I didn't complete level 2 yet, but at least the ground (water) looks okay and I couldn't see corrupted graphic data so far with the new version...

Edited by Mr.Bacardi