IGNORED

7800 variant?

Trip_Cannon

I picked up a 7800 the other day to replace my previous but there were a couple of things that I noticed that were different?

Don't know if this is something that is pretty common or what?

First, my previous 7800 came with a detachable power source. The new one came with power hard wired and a very different looking power brick.

Second, the rainbow color band is slightly different? Don't know if this is common or not?

Third, the cartridge port is a little different with a extra piece of plastic near the top?

There is no sticker on the back of the new 7800 so I can't find a production date.

I've included a pic. The top 7800 is the variant and the bottom is the one I was replacing.

post-5036-0-33547000-1553893733_thumb.jpg

post-5036-0-67183000-1553893756_thumb.jpg

They weren't hardwired at any revision. So I would say it is safe to think that someone likely had issues with the original power plug and soldered the wire leads from the power supply straight to the main board. The extra piece of plastic I'm not sure about, unless they wedged that in there as a means to get some games working better than others to force them closer to the front pins of the cartridge port?

Interesting idea on hard wiring the power in. Would like to see pics in and outside.

Interesting but bad idea, given how flimsy the wire is and how heavy the power supply is.

It would have been more interesting to replace the original connector with a standard barrel connector.

• Like 2

I might be wrong, but aren't all 7800 PAL machines with no "proSystem" mention and a large rainbow band? :

640px-Atari-7800-wControl-Pad-L.jpg

Or were there early versions matching the US style?

You are correct from my experience. I've not once seen a PAL console with the US style branding.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting but bad idea, given how flimsy the wire is and how heavy the power supply is.

It would have been more interesting to replace the original connector with a standard barrel connector.

Easy enough to do, a couple of turns with a reamer and bob's yer uncle.

post-49282-0-21075900-1555190367_thumb.jpg