IGNORED

IBM Model M Repair

seastalker

I am coming into a batch of IBM Model M Terminal keyboards that I will likely convert to USB via a Soarers's adaptor(s).

1. QUESTION 1: Does anyone have ONE extra spring assembly? I've heard any M is compatible with an M2. I am up for PM arrangement for my non-terminal M2 that needs ONE spring.

2. QUESTION 2: I've read on-line that some people have had success with dish-washing keyboards and others have not, with a key factor being the tip "Don't use Detergent." Even though some detergents have anti-corrosive elements to them, regardless of the soap or not question, I am curious as to WHAT goes wrong with a keyboard in EITHER scenario, and if plugging in to test after fully dry or not quite. IF something goes, wouldn't it be the small PCB? Most of the keyboard is mylar under springs and plastic, no? IF something failed, is it a loss like reddit claims or is it repairable if you inherit such a history? What causes what to fail and is it a fuse swap out, etc?