IGNORED

HIGH SCORE CLUB Season 9 Starts August 15! DETAILS.

Vocelli

I'm gonna use Retrogoober's template here because it's well thought out and I'm lazy. :lol:

Activision: Pitfall II: Lost Caverns, H.E.R.O., Kung-Fu Master, Starmaster

Arcade: Road Runner, Ms. Pac-Man, GORF, Joust, Q*Bert, Berzerk, Centipede, Ikari Warriors, Venture

Two paddle games: Astroblast & Kaboom!

Two homebrew games: River Raid 3 (Game 16) & Wolfenstein VCS: The Next Mission

Would love to play: Alien, Halloween, Midnight Magic, Secret Quest, Montezuma's Revenge, Off the Wall, Skate Boardin'

Edited by Jin
I noticed that it was requested I select only 2 paddle and homebrew games, so I narrowed it down. =)
  • Like 2

On 5/15/2019 at 7:21 PM, oyamafamily said:

EDIT: I'm suggesting the inclusion of special rule for Draconian, if we play this Spiceware's game for 2600 HSC:

GAME MUST BE PLAYED ON NTSC COLOR FORMAT (console or emulation); DON'T USE PAL CONSOLES.

The reason: Draconian has an option called TV-Type (NTSC, PAL and SECAM), whose default is NTSC.

We are assuming the usage of Factory Defaults on HSC Contests each time the settings are not specified by the moderator.

TV-Type defaults to the detected console, so NTSC is not the default.

The only difference the TV-Type makes are the numeric values written to the 4 colors registers, everything else is identical.  The game always generates 262 scanlines, for a 60 Hz display, uses the same movement tables values, etc. for all 3 TV-Types.

As such there's no difference in game play, just console appropriate colors.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2019 at 9:51 AM, classicgamer_27330 said:

thank goodness this starts in august, i've been in the hospital for 2+ months with skeptic shock

Woah, that 50th anniversary of the moon landing really hit you hard! :o

...Sorry, that typo was just way too good to pass up. In all seriousness though I'm so sorry that you had to go through that, sepsis is some majorly scary stuff, and I'm glad that you'll be out of the hospital and recovered enough to join us this season. I'm sure looking forward to getting back into it too after my own medical troubles made me have to bow out during the bracket challenge at the end of last season. Best wishes and I look forward to seeing you back in action! :)

Edited by Jin

For this HSC Season, I will bring something better when I submit scores with video evidence format.

Now, I'm able to record videos via camera, featured on my Android device.

The video description will present the timeline as written in the following example (Mappy gameplay footage).

Timeline:

00:08 - Stella opening and title select (Mappy)

00:19 - Difficulty Switches (Left B / Right A)

00:31 - Mappy opening (skill Standard)

00:40 - Start of run

10:49 - End of run with my 63,530-point final score

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, oyamafamily said:

For this HSC Season, I will bring something better when I submit scores with video evidence format.

Now, I'm able to record videos via camera, featured on my Android device.

The video description will present the timeline as written in the following example (Mappy gameplay footage).

Timeline:

00:08 - Stella opening and title select (Mappy)

00:19 - Difficulty Switches (Left B / Right A)

00:31 - Mappy opening (skill Standard)

00:40 - Start of run

10:49 - End of run with my 63,530-point final score

Usually don’t people point their cameras down at their input device (keyboard, game pad, arcade stick) that way the video can be audited to verify that the controller inputs match the video outputs.

(this all seems overkill for the HSC that only requires a pic)

• 1 month later...

I figured this would be more appropriately posted here than on a current week score thread, not a whole lot of off(ish) topic conversation there, is(and should be)focused on the scores, and scoring.

Anyway, my history of "doing well" on 2600 doesn't actually go back that far, mebbe three years or so, had one as a kid(I'm a Grandpa, x2, lol)-even when I first started scoring on games in general I remember thinking how "old, dead, and ugly" the 2600 was, I had Activision Anthology for PS1 20 years ago when it was new, and remember being sad because no one would ever play those games again...

Started playing real hardware for scores, started getting better and understanding it, now it's my "go-to" system in between other adventures, I always come back to the Atari(It would be easier to tell you the systems I DON'T score on than the ones I do...).

So my GREAT Atari buddies from elsewhere encouraged me to play in the tournament this year, and it has been a blast!

I've made a handful of attempts on some of the games, grinded for hours on others, just depending on how much I enjoy playing the game-I've put zero pressure on myself to "do well", nor do I really care, as long as I'm having fun(I am).

Anyway, the main point of this post-

Like a lot of us probably, I have my own personal "Patch Quest" going on for the Activision Patches, I usually try to knock out a couple with each visit to the 2600-had taken a pretty big 2600 break before the tournament, knowing I'd be spending a lot of time with it here(I am).

Since the tournament began, I have picked up EIGHT new patch scores, some AA tourney games, some not, just "in the zone" for Atari.

H.E.R.O.-76,820

Laser Blast-201,690

Megamania-57,400

Pressure Cooker-58,690

Robot Tank-57

Seaquest-51,070

Spider Fighter-51,550

Starmaster(Game 1)-3965

Laser Blast, Megamania, Robot Tank, Seaquest, and Spider Fighter have all been in the last three days or so, and all five were previously on my "impossible" list.

I *think* I managed a Patch score for Oink in the tourney, can't remember, too lazy to look, but I already had that one, and I took a couple hundredths off my PB on EMU Barnstorming game 1, 32.67(I have 32.65 on hardware... ;P), but I already had those scores, along with 3,716 on Kaboom, but I didn't achieve a patch score for the tourney on that one, I'm sure of it(paddles crapped out at the wrong time).

Makes a grand total of 27 Patch scores I have now, and Seaquest was the last of the games I physically own that I didn't have a patch score on, so that's good!

Anyway, definitely "bragging about my achievements", as I am proud, but the reason for bothering to do so here is a general "Thanks" to the tournament system/admins/participants for the inspiration to get a few more of these done-I have, IMO, "Superstar" friends, that think highly of my abilities, but I know better, lol, I'm as "Regular Guy" as it gets, it tickles me when I "accidentally" do something good!

:)

Edited by Rogerpoco
slight grammar correction
  • Like 5

Ummm...

Inadvertently adding to the above ego post, the realization just hit me, so another "Thanks" to the Tournament, lol!

I guess "Superstar" is something bestowed upon someone by someone else, and once bestowed is an actual fact(Ummm...I think that makes sense...).

So I guess I am, 100%, in all reality, a "Superstar", Walter Day said so!!!

Christ, this is going to go to my head...

(This is all me being silly, but truth in fact, I hadn't really thought about the "Superstar" thing before, I'm gonna play that to the fullest, even IRL!)

:D

3183-FRONT-ROGER-BLAIR.jpg

3183-BACK-ROGER-BLAIR2.jpg

• Like 4