IGNORED

Hiring A Programmer ?

Tommy17

Do you want to publish a new game like AtariAge does?

Do you just want a copy for yourself to play?

Do you want the real designer to let you take all the credit?

Why would you want to hire a programmer? You could never make the money back that you spent. The Andrews, Thomases, and Pauls of this world have their own ideas to make use of. I bet they can name you a price to make it worth their while though.

But really, what would you expect to get out of this?

Do you want to publish a new game like AtariAge does?

Do you just want a copy for yourself to play?

Do you want the real designer to let you take all the credit?

Why would you want to hire a programmer? You could never make the money back that you spent. The Andrews, Thomases, and Pauls of this world have their own ideas to make use of. I bet they can name you a price to make it worth their while though.  

But really, what would you expect to get out of this?

Yeah. What do they call it, a "homebrew" ? I wouldn't mind seeing an idea of mine come to life. My thought would be to pay a certain amount for the programming and then give a percentage of sales as well. I would be on control of the packaging, marketing, etc..

My idea, and don't laugh, is for a Kiss game. As a fan and collector, I know that allot of people would be into it. My plan would be to sell enough of the games to collectors of both Kiss and Atari fans to break even or just lose anough money where it wouldn't hurt. LOL.

What I would get out of it would be to have a game that I always wanted but never had.

I don't know.... This is a hobby and a lot of the homebrew programmers make games for mixed reasons of fun, challenge, and pride, working for hire would remove a lot of this.

Maybe exchanging programming for sexual favors would work better :)

I don't know.... This is a hobby and a lot of the homebrew programmers make games for mixed reasons of fun, challenge, and pride, working for hire would remove a lot of this.    

Maybe exchanging programming for sexual favors would work better :)

I would bet that one of them was / is a fanatical Kiss fan and might like the challenge. I wouldn't expect them to make a game for free.

That'll work. When / if I find a programmer, what time should I send them over to you ? :P

Hi there!

Does anyone know how / who / where to contact a programmer for an idea for an original 2600 game ? I was just curious of the cost to hire someone to do it.

Hm... I always say for $5000 in advance I'd do such a thing. For this I could pause my real job for 2 months without starving and I assume I could do a reasonably good 4-8K game start to finish in this time, working some 10-12 hours per day on it.

I just don't think it's possible to get more than 50% of that money back.

Greetings,

Manuel

Even though Manuel and I have been at odds recently, I gotta say he's selling himself (and the other homebrewers) short. $5,000 is chump change. How much would you pay Stephen King to write a book you've come up with a storyline for? How much would you pay Speilberg to film the script you wrote? How much to have Elton John sing a song you have a concept for?

You see, these artists have plenty of ideas on their own. And to bring those ideas to life, they spent years honing their craft, learning everything they can about the medium they work in. They probably wouldn't have the time - nor inclination - to spend time doing the work for someone else.

See the parallel here? All of us have "killer great ideas" for a can't miss game. Some of us - like myself - have been toiling at the Assembly Altar for years. If you ever want to see you game made, you're gonna have to buckle down and apply yourself to learning how to do it. Else, you're just another Idea Revolutions.

Does anyone know how / who / where to contact a programmer for an idea for an original 2600 game ? I was just curious of the cost to hire someone to do it.

I think Manuel needs to redo his figures. To make it worth my while, I'd need triple that - $15,000 - and even then I'd have to think long and hard about if I was going to take it.

This just highlights how programming '2600 is for love, not for money. You can't make enough money doing it professionally (who's going to pay $15,000 for a title?) and you can't get it done for the money you'd want to spend (who's going to program a title for a few hundred dollars?)

Cheers

A

I normally dont say much in here but I think most programmers here would listen to an idea, And then decide if they will take up on it. I believe there's a programmer making a card game that came from a suggesting from anouther member here 'PENTE' I think its called. but you will give up almost all of the credit for it most certainly

My thought would be to pay a certain amount for the programming and then give a percentage of sales as well. I would be on control of the packaging, marketing, etc..

Ideas are a dime a dozen, unfortunately. The tough part is the actual coding.

I don't think you'll find many programmers willing to program someone else's idea FOR them, and let them design the labels, and all for a small fee, and a percentage.

PS: If you're a KISS fan, then you may be familiar with the KISS BDE Interactive movie from a few years back. I designed the technology used to create that product - bad as it was :)

My idea, and don't laugh, is for a Kiss game

I'm laughing all right. Before you even think about coding, how about getting realistic about acquiring the rights. KISS would sue you for even proposing the idea. Do you really think KISS needs any help with their merchandising? If they want to do a video game don't you think they can acquire their own programmers? Don't you think that KISS know how to get thieir products into stores without your help? Much like making a Futurama game, you simply will not be allowed to do this.

I don't want to hear all the "maybe and "I have a great plan" bullshit. Call them today and make your pitch. Don't even bring this subject up again until you've spoken to KISS management and they've gotten a laugh themselves.

See the parallel here? All of us have "killer great ideas" for a can't miss game. Some of us - like myself - have been toiling at the Assembly Altar for years. If you ever want to see you game made, you're gonna have to buckle down and apply yourself to learning how to do it. Else, you're just another Idea Revolutions.

We're still waiting for your Survival Horror game ;)

http://www.atariage.com/development_page.h...DevelopmentID=3

We're still waiting for your Survival Horror game ;)

Which is why I said:

Some of us - like myself - have been toiling at the Assembly Altar for years.
:D I'd let you know what's going on with it, but I'd just be making the same comments I've made before. Hopefully, post-CGE, I'll have time to get back to work.

Hi there!

$5000 seems high, what is the hourly rate for programming for the 2600 these days?

These days the 2600 isn't programmed as a paid job anymore. If it was, it would most likely be exactly the same rates as for current GameCube, PS2, X-Box, GBA or WIN/MAC game programming.

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi Tim!

Hopefully, post-CGE, I'll have time to get back to work.

You should check out this: http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29206

Greetings,

Manuel

Wow. Would you believe I've actually SEEN the nosehair-weilding amine he's referring to?

Yeah, I've been following this and Andrew's 101 course for inspiration. Other than the typical dragging-my-feet, pounding-my-head, starring-at-raw-code moments, what's really holding me up are some CGE projects I'm wrapping up. I haven't abandoned this game project of mine, but I've really been letting it gather dust, eh? :ponder: Nice to see others have been able to complete their own projects.

Dammit, that does it. Look for regular updates, posts, and freakin' results beginning in mid-August. Thanks to all of you who kept giving me regular kicks in the butt to get back to work. (I'm such a piker.)

$5000 seems high, what is the hourly rate for programming for the 2600 these days?

It's not the hourly rate that matters--it's how many hours it takes to program a 2600 game. So take whatever hourly rate that a normal programmer makes and divide $5000 by it. And that number is low.

Big,

My point is Tommy wants a 2600 cartridge made. He does not have the know-how. He wants someone to implement his idea.

Obviously that someone's time is valuable to them, so they must be compensated for it. So you have to determine how, and I think the fairest way is payment by the hour instead of by the project.

I don't see why people are skeptical about programming someone else's ideas. Elton John has Bernie Taupin. William Orbit does work for everybody from Gary Numan to Madonna to Pink. If you get paid to do something you love, that shouldn't be a problem.

Archived