IGNORED

antic 4 vs. antic e or charset vs highres?

Heaven/TQA

what is the less CPU consuming mode of doing software sprites?

simulating an antic 4 screen with 4-6 charsets???

i am just thinking if f.e. timepilot would better doing in charmode (but with software sprites...)

http://www.s-direktnet.de/homepages/k_nadj...dj/timepilot.de

i think of the DMA antic stuff discussed in another thread...

hve

Emkay again ;)

Heaven...please help me out thinking...

If one is able to write softwaresprites with

1st way:

[bit 1][bit 2]

[bit 3][bit 4]

[bit 5][bit 6]

[bit 7][bit 8]

why is he not able to write Softwaresprites with

2nd way:

[bit 1][bit 5]

[bit 2][bit 6]

[bit 3][bit 7]

[bit 4][bit 8]

???

Every simple bitmap on the C64 is made by this 2nd way

The difference to the charmode ist, that every 8 bytes the framebuffer gets one byte to the right and 8 bits up....

hmmm....

???

imho there is no difference just in terms of organising/preshifting the sprite data & the sprite engine different... but the concept remains... if we are talking about a simple "zone ranger"/"donkey kong" EOR engine...

i see just he pifall in 128 chars vs. 512 or 1024 on c64...

hve

But with a few DLI u can get several character sets on screen easily -- especially for a horizontal scroller :)

So the 128 char limit is not an issue.

If you were to do a fixed screen (non scrolling) for a game like Bubble Bobble and use a different set every 2 modelines, with 12K (12 sets) of unique character mapped display (960 unique characetrs) and 480 characters spare for sprite effects!!!!

If you then organise your sprite data in the charsets so the same bits of the set hold the sprites then you can use pretty simple memory copy routines to do FAST sprites with simple EOR masking :)

sTeVE

With the Charmode and overlayed PMg it is possible with the most less usage of CPU time, to create the most colors in 160x192.

You need about 7 DLIs to make colorfull graphics and have enough time for the game itself.

Any other method uses more CPU time for less colorenhancements.

@Heaven

My question was rhetorical :)

Steve,

after our new project i will try to do a sprite engine with chars... just be get a feeling for it...

f.e. timepilot would be a "non-scrolling" game or dig dug...

does bubble bobble on C64 uses sprites for the enemies & players and for the bubbles softsprites? and the other gadgets are definitly chars...

hve

Charmode sprites can certainly be done very nicely. Steve's own Menace proto is a fine example.

But I can't get my head around a character set sprite routine (yet), that would be as quick as one in a bitmap mode - because of the memory layout of the characters - but then I'm not used to using the char modes much, and there probably is a good way (c64 folks at least must know the best ways!)

:idea:

I imagine there could be a really quick routine, if there are areas of a sprite which don't need to be eor'd (maybe when its a big sprite, and has solid characters in the middle), then just the character code could be changed rather than writing the whole "bitmap like" reserved characters?

You'd need lots of pre-shifted versions of the characters for smooth vertical and horizontal movement.

Could that work, or am I not thinking that through properly???

• 1 month later...

Does that mean TaQuart is creating new stuff for the XL/XE?

Would be nice  :)

I don't think so... :roll:

But maybe Heaven is training himself in coding cool games . . .

8)

BTW. The latest production from TAQUART is here:

I bet you'll enjoy watching it after watching original NUMEM demo. ;)

The link is:

http://ftp.atari.art.pl/stuff/parties/QuaS...podziewanka.avi

(divx codec 5.0.5, 190 MB)

Archived