IGNORED

Which arcade joystick to buy?

root42

My chinese CX40 clone broke today. As usual,it's the inner stick that broke. I have a 3D printed replacement, but it does not quite fit. I can use 3 of 4 directions, I tried filing off a bit, but it didn't help. Since the CX40 isn't very ergonomic, I was wondering if I can buy a good arcade stick. Which one should I pick? The Edladdin look good, but the shipping to Europe is simply crazy. Together with customs I am looking at 200€ for a 'simple' arcade stick. Are there any European vendors for similar sticks by any chance? 

Otherwise I am probably simply getting some 8bitdo controllers that I can also use with my MegaDrive and simply skip the joystick altogether. 

19A8AB50-1652-4F1B-9133-4BF6FF4D745E.jpeg

18 minutes ago, adam1977 said:

Why not turn your broken CX40 into something like I recently did :D

Wow. This. Is. Crazy. And amazing! I might actually try to do that... I will probably need a two button stick for Scramble still, but I can use a Sega gamepad for that, just like I do now. But this is neat! Cheap, quite Frankensteinish. I love it. 

However I am interested in more options. :)

• Like 1

Thanks for considering Edladdin!

The GoDaddy shopping cart where Edladdin lives often gives inflated European shipping quotes despite the fact it’s supposedly pulling right from shipping tables.  We do not add on any “handling” or  packing charge.  

If you will send us your actual delivery address, we can look up the actual price your courier of choice will charge us.  If it’s lower, we will be happy to refund the difference.  We did this last week for a Seagull 78 adapter going to UK.

On 8/30/2019 at 10:10 PM, Inky said:

I wonder if @virtvic has any thoughts on this...

I could make you a nice atari style joystick. I usually use sanwa or seimitsu joysticks and ready made ABS boxes. Depends on how much you want to spend. The boxes are about £10GBP, the joysticks are £15-£20, the cables £2.50 and a button £2 + my time, postage etc.  You may as well just get hold of an original CX40? I take it you are using it on a console and not USB into a pc for emulation? If so, you could make a small interface with a Zero Delay board - they are about £6

On 9/1/2019 at 11:16 AM, virtvic said:

I could make you a nice atari style joystick. I usually use sanwa or seimitsu joysticks and ready made ABS boxes. Depends on how much you want to spend. The boxes are about £10GBP, the joysticks are £15-£20, the cables £2.50 and a button £2 + my time, postage etc.  You may as well just get hold of an original CX40? I take it you are using it on a console and not USB into a pc for emulation? If so, you could make a small interface with a Zero Delay board - they are about £6

I would take you up on that offer. I have an original Vader, so that's what I would be using them for. Around 50 GBP plus shipping for a stick would be ok. Would it have two buttons, or is it a one button design? Do you have a picture of what they look like?

• 3 years later...