IGNORED

Swordquest Prizes On EBAY!!!?

moycon

I recall back in the day seeing photo's of the prizes for the Swordquest in the video game magazines. It seems to me they also had a price for each which was like $25,000 and the grand prize a $50,000 sword!!! I'm assuming they got the prices from how much they cost to make as well as the gold and jewels that were on each piece.

My question is this. What do you think one of these would go for on ebay today if one showed up intact? Surely the gold is worth more than it was back then, so I'd think that would have some factor, but do you think some jeweler would buy it and melt it down? Or would an Atari collector snatch up something as expensive as that? Some of the people on this board have spent big $$$ on atari memorabilia but would you be willing to float a $25,000 bill!!?? And do you think it might go for more than that now??? Would be very interesting to watch if one of these one of a kind items ever did appear on ebay.

Any comments? Or opinions??

Surely the gold is worth more than it was back then, so I'd think that would have some factor

Yes, the price of gold is always going to be a factor. But the price of gold was actually higher then than it is today, not lower. New York spot prices for gold ranged from $360 - $420 per Troy Ounce in 1983-1984, whereas gold closed today at $351 an ounce.

I imagine the difference in the price of gold over the years is trivia compared to the collectible value of the Swordquest trophies. The whereabouts and status of their existence has been shrouded in mystery for so long, each of these one-of-a-kind treasures have vaulted to legendary status. Each prize, indeed, is a Holy Grail.

If the Swordquest Grand Prize were ever to surface on eBay, I would not be surprised to see that jewel encrusted sword go for a cool quarter million. And maybe even for $200 more, if it comes with the box and instructions.

Ben

I always heard that Tramiel kept the other three for himself.

Mitch

Yes... I have heard that. In fact, this whole post is rather scary to me because I was pondering this same thing this morning, and almost asked the question myself.

I have read also that Steven Bell, winner of Earthworld's Talisman, had his prize melted down. (See the reference URL below). This was stated by Fireworld winner, Michael Rideout, in an interview with Atari HQ that I found just this morning. If what he said is still current, Rideout still has his chalice in a bank. As for the remaining prizes, it seems that it is as you say... Tramiel has his paws around the remaining three.

So unless Rideout suddenly decides to put the chalice up on eBay, or someone manages to talk Tramiel into prying the remaining treasures from his hands... it's unlikely you will see these go on eBay. :sad:

For those who want a reference to this information, here's the interview Atari HQ did with Mr. Rideout. http://www.atarihq.com/2678/swordqst.html

But I would almost bet that, if one of those prizes ever went on eBay, it'd be in more places on this site than the little eBay Spotlight box on the front page. :D

Talk about a misleading title, reminds me of the "Incredible Hulk Prototype"

Has any journalist tried asking the Tramiel family about it? Seems like a good subject for any video game magazine. The value would be impossible to determine today, especially for that sword.

Maybe the treasures are hidden away in some dusty old crates like the Lost Ark. Maybe they went into the landfill with ET. Maybe a Tramiel kid is playing with the sword in the back yard right now. Maybe Infogrames has the goods.

Tramiel has his paws around the remaining three.

I'd like to get conformation of that. Has anyone actually seen the treasures in his possession or is this just one of those urban legends? If he really does have them, you'd think that he would have melted them down or sold them off by now. Something tells me that Atari history doesn't mean much to him.

Tempest

I don't remember where exactly. But I am pretty sure I have read at least 2 different interviews with people who happened to mention seeing the sword on Tramiel's mantle. Now whether this was in his Office, or elsewhere Isn't really known. But it would seem at least that there is some small eye witness accounts that at least maintain that Jack didn't smelt the sword and it could very well be intact in all of its glory today.

Funny liking them to the Grail. When you think about it, they really are almost Grail like in their stature. Those treasures would even have some small power of their own in only in the history behind them.

We need to assemble a S.W.A.T. team to raid the Tramiel home and get that sword!!!

"It belongs in a museum!"

Vendel? You got a case secure enough for something like this? hehe....

:D

Here's another question: Even though he may have made off with the prizes, was he actually entitled to them? I'd think that when Atari went under they should have been sold to pay off the creditors.

Tempest

I would think that the owner would have spoken up by now. That's why i figured they're either in a storage vault somewhere unknown or in the closet of a former Atari gruntworker.

I presume the missing treasures are located somewhere near the Airworld prototype.

Tramiel has his paws around the remaining three.

I'd like to get conformation of that. Has anyone actually seen the treasures in his possession or is this just one of those urban legends? If he really does have them, you'd think that he would have melted them down or sold them off by now. Something tells me that Atari history doesn't mean much to him.

Tempest

I can confirm of multiple people being shown the prizes at a get together at Jack Tramiels house 6 years ago. These were all ex Tramiel era Atari employees and currently co-workers (some now former) with me.

It's been pretty much common knowledge for a long time that Jack has the items personally. I'll go back and ask a few today if they got any pictures, but I doubt it.

Don Thomas or Bill Rehbock could probably personally confirm seeing them at Jacks as well.

Jerry

I can confirm of multiple people being shown the prizes at a get together at Jack Tramiels house 6 years ago. These were all ex Tramiel era Atari employees and currently co-workers (some now former) with me.

Was it legal for him to take them?

Tempest

They say posession is 9/10ths of the law. And who is going dispute his right anyway? JT took over what was left of Atari after the crash and the spin-offs, so he probably felt they were his to claim by proxy especially since the contests had been cancelled and the contestants paid off.

Talk about a misleading title, reminds me of the "Incredible Hulk Prototype"

Has any journalist tried asking the Tramiel family about it? Seems like a good subject for any video game magazine. The value would be impossible to determine today, especially for that sword.

Maybe the treasures are hidden away in some dusty old crates like the Lost Ark. Maybe they went into the landfill with ET. Maybe a Tramiel kid is playing with the sword in the back yard right now. Maybe Infogrames has the goods.

During my interviews with Leonard for my book (the only Tramiel that would consent to interviews and has actually been quite forthcoming), he vehemently denied that his father had any of the prizes, that it's just a rumor.

As far as why it was cut, I was explained it was purely economics. They inherited a large debt from a company in dire straights, and there was no conceivable need for a tournament of those proportions anymore after the industry had collapsed.

I confirmed this with Bill Rehbock at this year's E-3 show. Bill has actually seen the prizes at Jack's house.

Maybe Leonard didn't want to fess up due to possible legal problems.

John

I confirmed this with Bill Rehbock at this year's E-3 show. Bill has actually seen the prizes at Jack's house.

John

Yeah, like he's actually going to admit that they own the prizes! He's trying to deflect attention, can't you see?! It's all a big conspiracy!!!

:P

John

I'll leave out their last names but so did Barbara and her husband. Both of them worked for the Tramiels and Warner Atari. That makes 4 independent people I know, and know well, that have seen at least one of the items at Jacks house.

That's good enough for me :)

Jerry

John

It's a possibility, but there's so many legal ways they could have done this as well if they do have them. Once the competition was cancelled (which I'm sure the right to cancel was written in the fineprint somewhere), Atari Corp. still retained ownership of the material of the prizes and there's plenty of ways (just like regular money) to transfer legally to private ownership. Gifts, rewards, items in lieu of monetary stipend for services rendered, etc. And truthfully, I think these items are a far cry from the loads of stuff that walked out the door with Atari Inc. employees during the transition that summer of '84.

Quite honestly though - the Tramiels don't care about the legacy of Atari or any history involved with it. They care about it as a footnote in their financial/corporate history, or in the case of Sam - in his accomplishments while at Atari Corp. But anything beyond that - the fact that they don't care can really shows a lack of desire to hide anything as well.

Did Bill mention what he saw specifically of the prizes, and where they were being kept at the house? If they were that worried about legal action, I can't imagine why they would let anyone outside the family see them.

Archived