IGNORED

Idea for homebrew title that 7800-homebrew dev. may consider to produce: Pac Land 1984

Giles N

If I were to do a platformer like this I'd use a table of widths and x offsets indexed by the frame of animation to allow for a size of whatever*32.

Out of all the graphics, the main character should look the best and it's always good to make use of the 7800 strengths when it comes to throwing large objects around.

Using cart RAM for the graphics would simplify the parallax scrolling. It would almost be trivial to add extra layers of parallax over the arcade version, but I guess that would sort of defeat the purpose of a port.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TIX said:

At 16x32 he is pretty much perfect  :)

and we have 3 pixels to spare at the top to fit the hat (not a fan myself) !

16x32.gif.bbee5e3792803f6e04cdcfd69ccda11b.gif

Absolutely gorgeous!

Isn´t the 7800 known for handling tons of sprites?

In the game (from videos) it would seem mostly 5 or 7 enemies usually on-screen-at-a-time.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Also:  Do we design him with or without the hat?  I think Japanese version has the hat.

The hat is present in the US release of the game including both Bally and Bally-Midway versions.

It's not just for aesthetics, there's a helmet upgrade too.  Unless there's some workaround to account for that upgrade (Pac-Man is invulnerable from taking hits to the top of his head), accounting for space for the hat in the Pac-Man player graphic is necessary.

Besides many know he wears a hat... 

?

P.S. If leveraging Bentley, room for hat wearing is already accounted for in the game.

BENTLEY_WITH_HAT.PNG

BENTLEY_WITHOUT_HAT.PNG

• Like 2

In the arcade version, Pac-Man's hat is a overlapped sprite 8 pixels high. When Pac-Man jumps, the hat bounces and it flies away when Pac-Man falls.

Bentley is 8 x 32 pixels (hat included), 160B mode, 2 frames (running and walking). Instead, Pac-Man should be 16 x 32 pixels + hat 8 x 8 pixels (therefore with a further palette), 160A mode, 8 frames (running) + 8 frames (walking). So, the game engine should be updated.

752099099_Pac-Mansprites.thumb.PNG.de2864748c6c4e96594d03a1c3f573e6.PNG

• Like 2

I'll try working up some more music.  May have some alternate ideas for the bass, plus want to try some of the other bits of music.

Also, on that .asm for the music ... need a way to filter out those zero frequencies on the $2x channel.  I know @RevEng shared a method with me, but when I tried implementing it I think it messed up the timing of the tune.

• Like 1

If needs to be and since we are talking for a already available engine,

I believe he is still looking good in 8 pixel width.. if we have the height to pull it of !

And in 8x32 there is plenty of room for the hat..   I'll give it a shot later

running8x32.gif.55dd7a282861b65bb4566f4726bb1f72.gif

• Like 1

Looking at the European Home Computer ports..numerous versions looked nice enough,  but fell down in critical areas. 

The Amstrad CPC version was far too slow..

The ST version ruined by poor collision detection,  awful scrolling and floaty jumping..Amiga version did little to fix anything but the scrolling.

C64 version was a little limited colours wise but set the benchmark for how an 8 bit version of the game should play.

No reason the 7800 couldn't match or surpass the C64 version if similar resources devoted to it I guess..

On 10/1/2019 at 7:12 PM, TIX said:

In 16x16 it is a pretty tight fit, but still recognizable  :P

we probably have to loose the black outline altogether..

running16x16.gif.2341c35dfd9cd448b33f2a48758711a9.gif

I think it would be better to lose the white-of-the-eyes, than than the black outline (if 16x16 is opted for), as the black outline really contributes to the cartoon-style.

He is rocking a fancy hat now :D

Unfortunately he also grow to a whooping 36 pixels.. maybe the hat being a different sprite is a better option ?

I added some secondary motion to the hat because why not ?

I gave the hat a wider brim to be more suave ;) and also turned the feather yellow to be visible against the white background !

running16x32(hat).gif.e746e4bcf55a936d76d8d4ff118806c1.gif

Edited by TIX
  • Like 6