IGNORED

NEED HELP SETTING UP AN ATARI!!!

runescapekid13

:? I have recently aquired 4 ataris 3 of which i was guranteed were working by a trusted source. I have attempted to hook up 2 of them on an old rca tv but nothing appears. I hooked up the box to the vhf input and switched it to computer switch. I then tried both channels 2 and 3 but neither would show anything when i followed instructions. Any advive on what i can or should do? It would be greatly appreciated.

ps...the tv is in working order.

Seems that would at least give you color bars and razz at you.

Is the switchbox bad? Have you tried connecting the RF cable from the powered 2600 to the VHF input? I think you can just touch the center prong of the cable's RCA connecter to the outside of the VHF input on the television. That should at least give you a fuzzy picture to verify that the system works.

Does the TV have automatic fine tuning? Have you tried setting it manually?

I have tried different cartridges and 3 power plugs. I put it on channel 3...thats what my systems normally use on it. It is just a black screen! I dont know what is wrong. If i have it on channel 2 it does go in and out if i move the tab on the box. But the odd thing is the tv zones out if i move it to the tv switch...plz any other advice? Im going to try yet another of the ataris now...i would appreciate feedback

Checklist:

1) Test with a Voltmeter if your Power Supply is giving 9v or more.

2) Tune in your TV scanning from channels 2 to 4. You should read this section to make sure you're connecting things properly http://www.atariage.com/howto/connect.html

3) Clean your cartdridges using a Qtip until the contacts are shiny.

If you still get a black screen I'm afraid the 7805 dropout regulator inside your Atari may be fried (It's a 3 legged small black square inside) some soldering job is required to replace it.

hmmmm atari never did put an led on these things did they?

:wink:

No, but I did :D

It's very easy to do, just take 5v off of the voltage regulator, and wire it to a 5v led(or use a resistor if you need to). Then drill a hole in the case, use some hot glue to mount it, and then you have a 2600 with an LED!

They did put an LED on 2600 jr.'s though.

You shouldn't have to drill a hole in the case...since the 2600 has that "speaker grille". Just need to slide a flat LED thru one of the slots in the case.

But yeah...a Jr. would be the easiest way of checking the adapter (and you lack any electronics equipment). That or lick the end :D

sence you said that the tv went out when you switched it over, get a wrench or somthing and MAKE SURE the switchbox is nice and stuck on there. my seems to be tempermental at times, but never this bad =P

Hmm...that brings up something else to check. Make sure the coaxial cable's inner wire is straight and not being squashed against the threaded part when it's screwed down.

You shouldn't have to drill a hole in the case...since the 2600 has that "speaker grille".  Just need to slide a flat LED thru one of the slots in the case.

I don't want the LED sticking out of the case either...

Plus, didn't only the six switcher's have the speaker grille thing?

It looks pretty cool how it is, I'll take a pic when I get around to it(may take awhile, I'm pretty lazy)

Black screen's better than what my ONE 2600 gives me. Dead power plug. The cord wasn't broken, I think it blew inside the box. It was the original PSU, and put up with almost 20 years of use, so I guess I have to hit Radio Shack (You've got questions, we've got cellphones).

Archived