IGNORED

What now?

FouLimp369

Ok well I went out and bought an adapter from radio shack which costed me 15 bucks. I come home ready to play and hook up my atari and turn it on nothing happens. I hook up my other one turn it on nothing happens. It can't be the adapter so it has to be something else does anyone else know what could be wrong and have any ideas how to fix it I wanna play Atari so bad and can't take it anymore.

Thank you,

-FouL-

:?

Can you give us some more info? What type of TV hook- up? Older TV or newer? Have you cleaned the inside of your Atari console? Cleaned the cart? Any frays in the wires?, etc.

8)

Dust and grime has a way of making it way inside your console sometimes. I've opened some in the past to find massive build-up!

Make sure the console is unplugged then unscrew the screws in the bottom( I think there are only 4? It's been a while ) and you should be able to pull the top off carefully to see the dirt( if any ) accumulated inside. A damp cloth should remove most of it by wiping gently around the plastic case and around the switches.

I have to get some sleep now, but I hope that will help. If that isn't it, maybe I can suggest something else tomorrow.

One more question: Did you have your Atari console working well in the past?( before you bought the new power supply?) Also, what are the Voltage, Amps, AC-DC, etc. specs on that new one?

Well it's been some time since they have been used I got them from my grandpa a couple months ago and was under the assumtion they worked they worked a long time ago when I was real little. But I opened them up to clean them and in each there was a piece of paper attached to a different part in each one. The one even had a X drawn on the part. Does this mean that those parts are broken? is there any way I can switch the parts around so that at least one works?

Check the 7805 voltage regulator and see if it outputs ~5V DC, if it does not, that is the reason why your machine doesn't work. It is a 3 legged IC mounted against a heatsink most of the time, you should have no trouble finding it. :)

I haven't cleaned the console because I don't know how could that be the problem? I have the original t.v. hook-ups and I have a semi-newer T.V. but I use the RF attachment for the atari.

As was stated before, make sure you are connecting to either the CABLE-TV input Jack or and EXT-ANT(enna) jack on the TV. You can not connect directly to an S-Video Jack on the TV. The output wire from the Atari will fit the S-Video Jack, but it won't work! You need to either get an adapter to convert to F-Type connector which fits the CABLE-IN and EXT-ANT jacks of newer TVs, or if your External ANT is 2-screws, then you need to use the old style switch box.

Please provide the part-number/name of the adapter you are using, and the label on the jack on the TV you are connecting it to.

Look at the channel switch on the back of the Atari. It will be switched to channel 2 or 3. Match that channel on your TV, and set your Signal Source in the TV controls to match the JAck you connected to. If you see nothing (static) when you flip on power, then either the power supply is bad, the Atari unit is bad, or the connections are not correectly configured. If you get anything other than static when you switch power on, then you have a dirty cartridge/system. Clean both. You can use rubbing alcohol and q-Tips to clean the contacts inside the cartridge.

Also make sure you have power to the outlet you are plugging the AC adapter into. Many modern homes connect half or all of the outlets in a socket to a wall switch. Plug in a normal lamp to prove the outlet has power.

Good-luck!

Archived