IGNORED

Kaboom is better than HALO?

Trade-N-Games

Just some fun I had at my store yesterday. I have 4 big tv's hooked up at the store in the game center and 6 customers were playing against each other on 3 of the sets in a match of HALO on Xbox Wednesday. So on the other station I started a game of Kaboom for fun. After about 2 min they all stopped playing and were amazed at how fast it was and fun it looked. I had my score every time around 5000-8000. Well for the next hour they all tried to get above 1000 and only one "kid" could. I say kid cause I told them it came out in 1981 and it was older than all of them. So now a few of them said the next time they save up some money they are going to buy an Atari. :) All of them kick my butt at HALO but now I did my own butt kicking with kaboom. I will practice up a little so I can get over 10,000.

Great story. :)

I think that it's often the case with many classics that initially put off current gamers with their simplistic graphics, it really helps to see gameplay at it's peak to really 'get it'.

For example, seeing a good Robotron or Defender player on the higher stages is a thing of beauty... the frenetic action that happens would amaze anyone. But initially, it's easy to not be impressed with an older game to put in the time to see what it's all about.

And it's not necessarily 'fast action'. It could be with arcade Space Invaders where someone playing with a little strategy could open the eyes of someone else who thought it was a simplistic shootemup (which it sort of it, but of course there's a lot more to it) ;)

Thanks for the story :D

Just some fun I had at my store yesterday. I have 4 big tv's hooked up at the store in the game center and 6 customers were playing against each other on 3 of the sets in a match of HALO on Xbox Wednesday. So on the other station I started a game of Kaboom for fun. After about 2 min they all stopped playing and were amazed at how fast it was and fun it looked. I had my score every time around 5000-8000. Well for the next hour they all tried to get above 1000 and only one "kid" could. I say kid cause I told them it came out in 1981 and it was older than all of them. So now a few of them said the next time they save up some money they are going to buy an Atari.  :)  All of them kick my butt at HALO but now I did my own butt kicking with kaboom. I will practice up a little so I can get over 10,000.

That's a cool story! :D That's funny that they went from some sophisticated XBox game to a old game like Kaboom which they had never seen before and were amazed by it. Kinda demonstrates how awesome the classics are in playability despite the graphics.

I think that it's often the case with many classics that initially put off current gamers with their simplistic graphics, it really helps to see gameplay at it's peak to really 'get it'.  

For example, seeing a good Robotron or Defender player on the higher stages is a thing of beauty... the frenetic action that happens would amaze anyone. But initially, it's easy to not be impressed with an older game to put in the time to see what it's all about.

This makes a lot of sense. High level play on some of the classic shooters were outrageously fast and insane, the kind of stuff that never loses its appeal. Kids today want to see that stuff on Lever One, not Twenty. There might be a market for ramped-up difficulty classics.

Kaboom! is a great game to introduce the kids to Atari. It is so simple yet so insanely addicting and frustratingly difficult! I've had youngsters show great interest in H.E.R.O. and Keystone Kapers also. They want to try to get the setup to play the 2600 on the X-Box. It will be fun, but just not the same as with the original Atari joystick/paddles. That's one reason the PS2 Anthology is not so good for Kaboom! I love to hear about these comparisons of the newer systems with the older!

Great story!

Whenever I introduce my friends to Atari, the first game I put in is always Kaboom. I didn't have the game when I was younger. When I got my Atari off ebay and played Kaboom for the first time, I remember how intensely fun the experience was.

Needless to say, all my friends were instantly hooked.

most games these days don't require quick reflexes or precision, or the simplicity to be able to pick up and go like the old atari games.

That's probably why no-one could beat your score. My son (5) although pretty good with current games has difficulty with the older ones (like mario brothers, donkey kong) because they require more precision and study of the character "patterns", etc.

I'm sure as he gets older those skillz will improve.

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking of Mad Bomber, I've addicted a surprising number of people to Bill Kendrick's free Kaboom clone by that name (available for Linux, Windows and I think a number of PDA's as well.)

Also, and this might belong in more of a "classic vs. modern console" philosophy thread, I think that a surprising amount of people are still exposed on a regular basis to games with (relatively) simple graphics and play mechanics that are still hard enough to present a challenge and draw them back to play again. Namely, flash games on the web. (Increasingly, cell phone and PDA games are getting played as well.) How many hours do you suppose the typical office worker with net access has blown on bust-a-move clones, that one-button "helicopter flying through a cave" thingy, or even Trogdor? Something like Mad Bomber (which, while it plays just like Kaboom, looks like one of those Flash games unless you play it in "zen mode" which looks like the 2600) is not out of line to those people, just to the people who went out and paid full retail to buy their Xbox the week it came out.

Of course, most Atari and other classic games play a lot more smoothly than their Flash counterparts, even if they may not look as immediately pretty or have sampled sound. But then, it's a lot easier to get access to a web browser than it is to an actual 2600 and Kaboom cart (hell, I STILL don't have a good set of paddles....)

Archived