IGNORED

Flicker control

easmith

I am working on a tennis game  ( see attached) . In order to have the graphical elements that I want, I am using 30 hz flicker .

In stella it looks great , but on real hardware on my CRT ,  it is a bit more than I would like .

I have read that in order to minimize the flicker that is is best to use colors with similar luminosity.

I have experimented , but would really like  to have the court some version  of green or brown , and the net close to white .

I am currently using $c2 for the court , and the net and horizontal court lines alternate between $ee (yellow for the ball) and $e ( white for the court and net).   

The $ee / $e alternation gives the appearance of white which is what I want.

Does anyone have any insight as to a way to find a better color combination to minimize the apparent flicker. Again, it is hardly noticable in emulation. On CRT , it is still playable and looks ok, but I am just hoping to optimize the appearence.

Thanks!

game controls are posted in homwbrew forum 

ProTennis1-16-20.bin

Edited by easmith

My old flicker test rom should help. With it you can scroll around and select the color you want dynamically.

FlickerTest_rev2.zip

With flicker in general, avoid it. When you can't avoid it use luminescence that is close for both colors, and it will minimize the flicker.

Other than that there are other methods of blending (like in Boulder Dash).

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Omegamatrix said:

My old flicker test rom should help. With it you can scroll around and select the color you want dynamically.

FlickerTest_rev2.zip 3.66 kB · 1 download

With flicker in general, avoid it. When you can't avoid it use luminescence that is close for both colors, and it will minimize the flicker.

Other than that there are other methods of blending (like in Boulder Dash).

Thanks. I'll play around with it . I can reduce it by taking off the center service stripe and changing the ball to white (attached).  I think you are right about best to avoid it as much as possible.  

ProTennislessflicker.bin