IGNORED

Flea Market Adventure...

King Atari

I was surprised to see some 2600, 5200, and 7800 games there. There was a good amount of 2600 and 5200 carts, 2 or 3 7800 ones. Had I had more money, I would've bought some 5200 carts, but none really interested me. I did get Warplock, mainly because I didn't know the rarity and hoped I found a treasure. It's rated a 3 :x . At least I have a Data Age title now, and it was only $2, but I could've wasted that money on 5200 Popeye (not that it matters, can't play my 5200 with my current controllers anyways).

But the day was definitely not a loss:

Zoda's Revenge: Startropics II (NES, last game for the system?) $2

Terminator 2 (NES, I already had the box, hooray!) $2.50

Bionic Commando (NES) $1

Madden 2002 (N64, H*ll Yeah!) $5

Turok 2 (N64, decided to give this game another shot, turns out it's better than I remembered) $1

I'm happy.

After traveling half way across the state last weekend and finding nothing, this week I went to the local flea market and actually found some Atari items. I found 4 vendors with Atari stuff. The first 3 had about a dozen common carts each, I did pick up Poker Plus for $1.00. The last vendor had a Sears Video Arcade 2 with all hookups and two joysticks and 4 common games for $10.00. I picked it up since I did not have that style of console.

This weekend was slow"

Homerun (88 release with a wierd capacitor)

Title Match Wrestling

NES: Magic of Schelemalamadingdong (can't remember the name, but thought it would be more valuable than it was....)

I never thought I'd see the day Atari carts were 4 bucks each and NES were 3.

Cassidy

voch --

if you're in the cleveland area you should try 2 stores that sell atari stuff (among other video game stuff) that i recently discovered.

one is video game connection on memphis ave near fulton on the near west side. i forget the name of the other one but it's on ridge road in parma. i just discovered store #1 a few weeks ago & store #2 this past weekend.

the prices & selection at both places vary.

there is one younger guy who sells atari, etc out at jamie's on saturdays & the memphis ave flea market on sunday. kind of pricey on some stuff though (i.e. $15 for frogger).

one is video game connection on memphis ave near fulton on the near west side.  i forget the name of the other one but it's on ridge road in parma.

Cool. Thanks. Is the one on Ridge in Parma a big comic book store? I've been there but not since I've been collecting classic video game stuff.

Let's have a hearty welcome for rust-belt. I assume because of the name he's from the Cleveland, Ohio area. :)

Voch

voch --

store #2 is called fun city. i think you might be thinking of collector's warehouse on ridge. i haven't been there for a few years & don't even know if they have video game stuff. fun city is just south of collector's warehouse - maybe like a 1/2 mile or so - right next to a small theater that shows second-run stuff. i noticed they had a sign out front for buying atari, etc so i stopped in.

i bought robot tank & seaquest for $2.49 each there. (robot tank looks like it might be my next addiction). they had some games i don't ever see such as tapper ($20), space shuttle, etc. a decent mix of commons & more rare games at various prices.

personally, i like video game connection better. lots more selection with generally better prices. also has lots of intellivision, etc. the owner sets up at the memphis ave flea market but never with atari stuff. he told me no one appreciates it at the flea market & everyone there just wants newer stuff.

i also ran into someone at the flea who said he has a store just off I-90 at the east 185th exit. i think it's (music) cd's, video games, etc but i haven't gone there yet.

anyhow, that's all i know of right now -- but it's not like i'm always hunting.

Another pretty good place ($3 commons) is Big Fun on Coventry in Cleveland Heights. It's also a great store for all of your fake rubber vomit needs. :)

I have had great recent luck at the flea market on Arlington Rd. in Green, Ohio (north of Canton, right off of I-77). $5 Atari 5200 commons, $2-$3 Atari 2600 commons and TONS of NES stuff (if you're into that...I'm not). One shop had Atari systems in good shape for $35-$40.

That's about all of my local secrets. :)

Voch

Andover in Ashtabula county (immediately north of Trumbull county) has a decent Goodwill, with the occasional 2600 and Saturn game... Lots of VHS tapes, LPs, and whatnot, but by no means the best place to hit. Well, check it out if you're in the area.

Youngstown in Mahoning county has a HUGE Goodwill. Beta, VHS, NES, Genesis, 2600, and lots of computer junk.

Goodwill in Sharon, PA is pretty good. Almost as good as the Youngstown one, lots of games and other tech.

Salvation Army Thrift Store in Newcastle, PA is crap. I got one boxed NES game there, and one ancient Apple network terminator.

Salvation Army Thrift Store in Canton is.... alright. Pretty slim pickings, unless you want clothes and refrigerators.

Warren in Trumbull county, Ohio:

Goodwill kicks ass. I may have gotten all the good stuff though.

Salvation Army Thrift store is pretty good. Always decent computer equipment, frequently Atari and Sega stuff.

Sarah's High Class Junk is crap. They wanted $80 for a Commodore monitor. I didn't even ask the price on their 2600 double enders and Tandy and PC games on 5" floppies.

I haven't hit the Goodwill in Lorain for years, but they were okay in terms of tech the last time I was there. They're pretty small though.

Jamies in Amherst (?) = teh 1337. The last time I was there (before the fire), they had a swordsmith shop, and several game vendors on the inside.

voch -- that's funny. i live about 2 blocks from big fun but didn't know they carry atari stuff (other than the t-shirts). i'll have to check it out.

i've been to the inside flea market in green twice but have only ever seen the most common of common atari games. lots of other video game stuff, as you said, but little atari.

raijin -- you're a nut (in a good way). that's a lot of info to have re: northeast ohio places. i've been to a couple of the bigger thrift places in y-town but never found anything. i'll have to check again when i'm down that way.

at this point, i'm more than willing to pay $3-4/each at a store for games i don't have (and really want) instead of combing fleas, thrifts, etc. i figure the extra money paid is worth it in time saved.

voch -- that's funny.  i live about 2 blocks from big fun but didn't know they carry atari stuff (other than the t-shirts).  i'll have to check it out.

They're all fairly common games but I found a few fill-ins. Check the drawers in the back of the store.

I've been eBaying more than I should recently but I'm trying to complete my Activision collection (only seven to go!) and my rarity 2 collection (Crossbow and Super Baseball). I'd LOVE to come across my game wants locally, though.

Ever heard of Toys That Time Forgot in Canal Fulton, Ohio. They have quote a few games but charge Digipress guide prices (London Blitz was $77, etc.).

Voch

I came across "Z-Tack" by bomb this week for $11--pretty nice for a 9 rarity. But overall, it seems like all the good places to find games where I live (Long Island, NY) have dried up. I used to go to Edlie's in Uniondale and those Micro-uh something stores that were in Huntington and further out on the island, but they've all blown away. Land of Oohs and Oz in Farmingdale still has games but they're all commons and who wants to pay $5 for PacMan anyway. And all the local thrift shops only have clothes (not to mention that they smell pretty bad too).

Any one from the NYC area who could tip me off for some other good places to search?

Hee hee, you'll never find my spots here in Akron!
You can keep them. Akron was a nightmare for me. The exhaust system fell off the car I was driving, while I was on the highway heading to the museum for that anime thing during the winter. I pulled into an empty lot, scissor-jacked the car up, and found a coathanger. I crawled under the car, lashed the exhaust pipe to a hook under the car, and as I was crawling back out, the coathanger broke and zipped across my face. OW. I fixed it, and as I was crawling out again, the car slipped and fell on me. FUCKING OW. I squeezed out, and got directions at the KFC up the street from the museum. The exhibit was awful. On the way back through Canton, I hit the Salvation Army thrift store. Got a busted CPS fighter stick for SNES, a science book, and Leather Goddesses of Phobos, complete.

I'm never going back to Akron again. The first time I was there, I was on the opposite end of the city. There was nothing to do but get a milkshake at McDonalds, a sandwich at Target, and gas at BP on the way home.

i'll be the first to say that i'm not "someguy".

i collect to play and/or when the game is cheap & i don't have it.

in other words, you don't have to worry about me endlessly traveling thru NE ohio sucking all the carts out of the thrift stores before you get there.

i spend enough $$$ on other stuff w/out making atari a new way to spend money (he says as he prepares to *finally* buy a 5200).............

Archived