IGNORED

Modded Atari Joystick with tactile switches

marauder666

Just picked up another VCS, in amazing condition too, still got the orange paint around the switches, came with some boxed games, paddles, and a joystick.  Partially boxed, with manuals.

Pics of that to follow when I've given it a little clean.  This one is getting RGB modded, when I've run it for a few days to make sure all is in good order.

I've always like the look of the stock Atari joystick, but hated the lack of feel from it.

ALPS SKSTAAE010 tactile switches to the rescue.  I bought these to replace the switches in a Neogeo CD pad, they work well, with some kynar, and some PCB material to behind the them in the plastic cradle.

Anyway I had 6 left, so put them to good use.

These are surface mount, but easy to solder to the existing solder tracks, the button requires the centre peg cutting down a little, and I had to remove the top of the 4 flat pieces which connect to the peg after I took the photo.  They stopped the switch before it had made contact with the peg.  Had to remove the spring also, but the switch returns the button ok.

The hardest part is filing down the plastic nubs on the white joystick shaft which press the switches, takes a lot of trial and error to get the them correct height of around 2mm to allow the case to close without jamming the switches on.  Don't overdo it, its easier to remove plastic than add it back if you filed too much off.

Really pleased with the result, so audible feedback, and the shaft moves a little further than a stock joystick.

p1030766.jpg

p1030767.jpg

p1030768.jpg

Edited by marauder666
  • Like 4