IGNORED

Atari Remote Control Joysticks Manual

Dr Galaga

I'm pretty sure that these would have something (battery replacement, best way to set the receiver, what wires go to what thing, how far away can you go, what is the battery life, etc.). The guy that I bought it from said that I should use a power supply that is rated a little higher than normal. I believe that this is because you plug the supply in to the receiver and it has a pig tail sticking out that I assume goes in to the 2600.

I'm pretty sure that these would have something (battery replacement, best way to set the receiver, what wires go to what thing, how far away can you go, what is the battery life, etc.).  The guy that I bought it from said that I should use a power supply that is rated a little higher than normal.  I believe that this is because you plug the supply in to the receiver and it has a pig tail sticking out that I assume goes in to the 2600.

I don't have a manual, but I can answer your questions.

Battery repalcement: Replace batteries as soon as player control shows signs of becoming erratic. Use a 9 Volt battery, like those found in smoke detector alarms. It is recommended that you remove the batteries from your remote control joysticks before putting them away if you will not be using them for a prolonged period of time.

Receiver Set-up: Use the standard 9V AC power adapter that came with your Atari VCS to supply power to the Remote Control Wireless Joysticks. Insert the power adapter tip into the jack on the receiver labeled, "Power Adapter Input." There is a cable leading from the receiver, labeled "Power Adapter To Game." Plug the free end of that cable into the 9V DC power jack of your Atari VCS console to supply its power. Raise the radio antenna on your receiver unit for optimal signal reception.

Controller Connections: There are two controller signal cables with 9-pin DIN connectors leading from the receiver unit. Plug the cable labeld "Left Controller" into the Left Player port of you Atari VCS Console. Plug the cable labeled "Right Controller" into the Right Player port.

Game Power-On Sequence: Always follow this procedure whenever you play game cartridges with the Atari 2600 Remote Control Wireless Joysticks:

1. With the Atari VCS console power switch set to OFF, fully insert game cartridge.

2. For 1-player games, position the switch on the LEFT remote control joystick to the ON position. For 2-player games, be sure both remote control joysticks are set to the ON position.

3. Position the power switch on your Atari VCS console to the ON position.

Note: A label on the underside of the base of each remote control joystick identifies which controller is Left and which is Right.

Signal Range: Your Atari Remote Control Wireless Joysticks allow you to play up to 20 feet away from the console unit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have found from direct experimentation that the "up to 20 feet" rating for range is grossly over-conservative. Under optimal conditions I was able to control the gameplay from as far away as 500 feet, albeit not very well. I played Combat from 500 feet using the remote joystick and an 8" Celestron telescope against an opponent who used the other remote joystick from a range of 2 feet. Though I was able to see,manuever and fire, I got my butt kicked because:

1. I couldn't hear anything.

2. My view of the game through the telescope was a mirror image

3. Atmospheric distortion from rising thermals (even though I did this on a cold Winter's night ) made both tanks shimmy in my field of view.

4. My tank would occasionally turn or fire on it's own whenever a car drove by.

That I managed to score one hit in the contest was nothing short of a miracle.

Ben

Funny you should ask. I was playing with them today and the issue of broadcast frequency occurred to me. So I put on some headphones and flipped through the radio dial while thrashing on the right joystick until I picked up its carriar wave on my headphones. I could hear the signal change tone when I pushed the joystick left, right and fire at about 109 MHz. I suspect I was picking it up on a harmonic. If so, the true frequency would be an integer fraction of 109 MHz, the largest of which is just below the FM band.

I didn't check the left joystick, but I suspect the carriar frequency is the same, but modulated slightly differently to distinguish it from the Right Joystick signals.

Ben

Archived