IGNORED

Let's take a trip to the creative side of your brain...

ApolloBoy

Let's see if you can make mockups of the following games on the 2600! Now, the mockups HAVE to be believable. Keep them within the 2600's limitations.

Here are the games:

Ballblazer :twisted:

Choplifter

Star Raiders II

Robotron 2084 :twisted:

Karateka

Food Fight

Gremlins

The Dreadnought Factor

Qix

Super Pac-Man

Galaga

No no no. The letter itself is pronounced "keh-yoo" but that doesn't mean it phonetically has a "ke-wuh" sounds UNLESS followed by a U, and not always in that case either. For example, you say "keesh" for the word "quiche," not "kweesh."

No! We must argue to the death!

MMF is right... Q by itself sounds like K. There are very few words in English that have a Q by itself but in those cases, it's a K sound.

Of course... the makers of Qix (was it Taito?) were just messing with us I am sure... pronounce it either way. I think both ways could be intended as an enticing game title. (Get your "kicks" playing a "quick" game of Qix. Or something. :| )

By the way, how do you even pronounce "Qix"?

I’ve come to pronounce it as “KICKS” (partially due to a thread in RGVC a few years ago that addressed the same question). However, in the early 80s, a friend and I simply bypassed English language pronunciation rules altogether and called the game “GIX”. We played a hell of a lot of “GIX” back in the day.

The funny thing is that the "kicks" pronounciation didn't even occur to me until seeing it there. As a kid, everyone that I've known called the game "quicks". I guess the mentatility was that since it began with Q and not K, it must have the "kw" sound (as most common words beginning with Q do).

Of course... the makers of Qix (was it Taito?) were just messing with us I am sure... pronounce it either way.  I think both ways could be intended as an enticing game title.  (Get your "kicks" playing a "quick" game of Qix. Or something. :| )

Isn't the arcade spec'ed as having a speech synthesis chip?

Shame Taito didn't use it. This debate could be put to rest.

I've always said it "kwics" or something to that effect.

Archived