IGNORED

Need Help with Ultra Satan Peter Putnik Drivers

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the ST community and I've recently acquired a nice 1080 STE. Last fall I installed a Gotek in place of the ST's floppy drive. Soon I realized I really wanted a modern hard drive solution. Fortunately, I then received the Ultra Satan --minus the pre-formatted SD card-- as a gift.

Allow me to share a ridiculous self-imposed problem I experienced setting up the Ultra Satan's SD card under Windows10. 

I was unable to use Putnik's disk image program named DRIMG135 to write to my SD card. The process of setting up the SD card for the Ultra Satan requires destroying the master boot record on the card and then installing the file 15MB.IMG , with the quite necessary autoboot driver for Ultra Satan. 

PROBLEM:

My PC is Windows10 which prevents me from writing his ZEROS.img disk image file to destroy the master boot record on my SD card. Smaller SDs do not have the properties/security tab needed to enable permissions. All I get is 'Access Denied" when I attempt to use the Drimg135 disk imaging program. I am logged in as Administrator yet Win10 does not seem to care?

FIX:

- Peter helped me figure out that by first right clicking on his program Drimg135, then selecting "Run as Administrator" was necessary, even though I was logged into Windows10 on the system administrator account. Simply running Drimg135 (without "Run as Admin") resulted in multiple ACCESS DENIED messages and a failure of the program to initialize/erase the SD card. Also, this left me unable to load the autoboot loader software. Something to note if you order his drivers and are not familiar with this Win10 security issue. 

E0B436EF-8FC9-420B-B8AC-E205BF0C957C.thumb.jpeg.d2dd423a34d27f7fd2008a88fbe75cf9.jpeg

THANK YOU PETER! I knew the solution to this problem was something simple I was overlooking. Your quick response and helpful suggestions are much appreciated. My own frustration with Windows10 security issues shall not get in the way of highly recommending your Ultra Satan Hard Disk Partitioner and Drivers.

NOTE: Peter's drivers are the only drivers available which include disk imaging software: DRIMG135. 

- James

It sounds like he sent you a hard disk partition to write to your SD card?  If so, you can connect an SD card to your PC then use a program like Win32DiskImager or balenaEtcher (both are free) to write the partition image to the SD card.  If you need one, USB SD card readers are cheap on Amazon.

Edited by Colleton

I tested Drimg135 with Windows 10, and it worked well. Don't use it anymore, because all it's forced updates and other stupidities. Now have Win7 and Win 8.1 . Much better.  

Even when you are logged as admin, I think that need to 'run as administrator' - that's security measure, to prevent accidental damage of internal hard disks.

If SD card has already some partitions, which are detected by Windows you need to make it to appear as empty. And that stays for Windows 7 too. Again, safety measure, and Win will prevent writes to that partition. And as Win sees by default only first one, that means that 15 MB image will go in that partition.

So, just write supplied ZEROS.IMG file (512 bytes) to begin of card. That works. Then remove card reader with card and insert it again. Now it appears as unpartitioned.

And you can write image on it.

I must say, and I'm Peter Putnik, that plenty of people used it with success, and on Win10 too. Sure, not all used my SW for writing image on card, there are other ones too. Some surely more up to date, and may be better for Win 10.

Linux version of Drive Imager is outdated, and works not on newer Linuxes.

Airshack wrote: "Recommend ordering the pre-formatted SD card from Lotharek with the Ultra Satan. Even though they recommend the Putnik FULL drivers it's not worth your time unless you maintain a legacy windows machine.  "

That's complete BS and not what most of people experienced and say. 

1. Most of users still have floppy drive, and can solve all it with floppy.

2. USB floppy not supported under Win 10 ? Not sure in that, but let's say that it's correct with latest versions. What happens in such cases ? Some people makes SW for that.  Like for instance special driver for all newer Win versions what makes it seeing all partitions on removables - and that's is what Atari people really needs.

3. Preformatted SD card is with limited driver, and it can be used, but what about initializing new card, of some different capacity, and other things ?

Just to add that with PP driver people gets: ST floppy image with partitioner and driver installer - so can write it to floppy with SW for that.

Or now more used way, I guess: using it with Gotek, HxC, CosmosCE .

As I know, no one else supplies Atari ST drivers + partitioner, full version as Flash card image - in purpose to be usable on machines without floppy drive, or just without floppy disk, HW floppy emulator.

Edited by ParanoidLittleMan
adding something

6 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

I tested Drimg135 with Windows 10, and it worked well. Don't use it anymore, because all it's forced updates and other stupidities. Now have Win7 and Win 8.1 . Much better.  

Exactly. The problem I had was with Windows10 and not your software. Feedback much appreciated. 

Airshack wrote: "Recommend ordering the pre-formatted SD card from Lotharek with the Ultra Satan. Even though they recommend the Putnik FULL drivers it's not worth your time unless you maintain a legacy windows machine.  "

That's complete BS and not what most of people experienced and say.

I completely agree with you Peter, and I wish to retract my criticism. Mainly, I was frustrated by a Win10 security absurdity of which I was not familiar. Thank you for taking the time to clarify the issue and educate me with a simple solution. I was wrong. Offering my apologies here my friend.