IGNORED

Bunches of storage questions

Dolt

Someone touched on this yesterday in a post, talking about baggies and plastic boxes and such, and it got me thinking...

How do you store your games?

Do you display them with labels visible as you walk by?

Do you store them horizonally or vertically?

Are there some methods of storage and/or protection that are more recommended than others?

Personally, I've always just kept them in the lids of photocopier paper boxes--excepting CommaVid and Xonox games, they wind up sitting nearly flush with the sides of the box. They hold 5 rows of 14 games, and when you place them one box on top of another, it keeps them from getting dusty on the ends of the games.

I always was frustrated that those big 100-cassette wooden boxes you used to be able to buy at Sam Goody or Tower Records *almost* fit carts, but not quite. I would love to have a wall of games in those tidy wooden boxes. Of course, my wife might not share my enthusiasm on this, so perhaps it's just as well. :)

Anyway, I want to protect those little babies (and the investment in them), so what advice do y'all have on storage?

Clive

There's a store in Arlington, VA near the Clarendon Metro called "The Container Store" that has the best solution I've found for storing Atari 2600 carts. They sell small plastic, um, containers that confortably hold 32 carts. You could probably fit 36 or 37 if you wanted to squeeze them in. They stack very nicely and have a pull out drawer so you don't have to move a container from the top of the stack if you need a cart from the bottom. If I remember correctly, they cost $5.99 a piece.

Now I'm not sure if "The Container Store" is a national chain, but I do recall seeing virtually identical plastic containers for sale at Staples the other day.

Hope this helps!

--Jason :)

It's not exactly nation wide (only in 18 cities) but they do have an online store.

http://www.containerstore.com/

I suspect the ones you mention are these Small Tint Stacking Drawer. Look pretty nice - I just started my collection, think I'll pick some up next time I go to the Galleria area.

I like to keep my games in photo boxes - basically a nicer looking shoebox.

This keeps 'em totally dust free and I can separate them alphabetically. Each box'll fit about 30 carts, so for my meager collection, it's perfect

I always was frustrated that those big 100-cassette wooden boxes you used to be able to buy at Sam Goody or Tower Records *almost* fit carts, but not quite. I would love to have a wall of games in those tidy wooden boxes. Of course, my wife might not share my enthusiasm on this, so perhaps it's just as well. :)

Well, here's what I did...

I took a 2600 cart to a wood ladder company that had started a side business of making wooden storage crates - the kind college kids would buy.

I asked him to make a storage unit to hold 50 cartridges. He made it so each cart has its own slot. 10 carts high by five wide. It's a thing of beauty.

I had them make a half-size unit after that - silly me, thinking I'd never have thatmany carts. Later I took the original to another store and asked them to duplicate it. They did, but it's not as good as the original.

I also use several of those plastic lock-together units. I think each holds eight, and they lock together with others on any side. They're not bad.

I have a 5 foot by 9 foot room next to my furnace that I call my Atari room and soon I'm going to put up a door to keep my little ones out. Inside my Atari room I have two of those metal shelves that hold five of those big plastic containers with lids each and each container can hold 50 boxed 2600 games side by side. for rare loose carts I paid some money at a crafts store for some small black shadow boxes that hold a cart like they were made for them, but at $10.00 each I only bought six.

:) :) 8)

I have a 5 foot by 9 foot  room  next to my furnace that I call my Atari room and soon I'm going to put up a door to keep my little ones out.  Inside my Atari room I have

Mommy mommy... daddy is in his atari room and he won't let me in and something smells funny from under the door. :)

I want that shelf! (Not to mention that Miner 2049er). Nice set up; I'm jealous. Since I'm new here, have people done a 'photo of my collection' thread in the past or should we start one? It was cool to check out your stuff there.

Clive

Although these pictures are now a few years old, they do show some of the ways I store my collection. I have many more of these storage units now than I did when I originally took the pictures.

AtariAge - How To Store Your Collection

This section needs a big overhaul as I'd like to include methods other people use to store their collection, as opposed to just what I do. :)

..Al

Here is how I got mine stored

*cough* *splutter* *choke* You're displaying a Quadrun cart OPEN END UP!!!?!? :o

Erm...here is how I store mine, in a dandy $40 wood - well, okay, particle board - chest of drawers in that magical, mystical place known only as the Escape Pod.

Truth be told, the "in-the-drawers" pictures (okay, I know somebody's gonna have a wisecrack about that one) are at least a year and a half old...they've gotten a LOT more crowded due to my collecting activity in the meantime. :wink:

Erm...here is how I store mine, in a dandy $40 wood - well, okay, particle board - chest of drawers in that magical, mystical place known only as the Escape Pod.

Great pictures, I especially love the blue rope lights you have on the shelves, especially with the lights off in the room. Lots of neat stuff in there. Now you just need the rest of the cabinet to go along with that Discs of Tron marque. :)

..Al

GruBBworM, to have your 2600 items lying on the floor like that, I take it that you have no children running around your house?

My two year old son is in a stage in his life where he likes to take things lying around the house and line them up on the floor in a row.

:? :ponder: :sad:

LOL yeah I gots 2 girls 1 is 5 years old 1 is 12 they know better :D

and see the deal is we just bought this house I havent hung the shelfs yet and I will get my stuff properly displayed reallll soon :-)

Im actually werking on building more shelfs like the one in the pic with plexyglass fronts to seal them off and hang them on the wall :-)

:D :D :D :D

well i just use a large bookshelf for all my carts so i can impress and disturb people. I also have about a dozen milk crates stacked with consoles and joysticks etc, The consoles i use often are all hooked to the TV because there is nowhere else for them.

man... if I showed my wife these pictures she'd probably send me out for therapy...

I've already talked her into letting me confiscate a spare bedroom for my junk! I wanted to be able to keep it all in once place and accessible without my 5 year (who DOES NOT know better) getting into it all.

:lol:

I've just recently "solved" my storage problems for the 2600. Last night I put on the final wood backings to my "Homage to the 2600"

Most everything here is vintage early 80's. The bookcase was built by my Father in law in 1982. The Atari is a non-heavy 6 Switcher. TV is a MagicStripe from 1983 (with side/top woodgrain that matches the 2600 nicely!). It's a dedicated 2600 setup.

(I tried to reduce the pic size as much as possible to not waste bandwith - I have no immediate storage for these pics so hopefully AA won't mind for a bit - I'll delete them sometime down the road).

post-2140-1058999583_thumb.jpg

Archived