IGNORED

menu program for large .atr's?

Shannon

I finally got my sio2pc working with ape last night (took a little creative thinking), boy that thing could really use a manual.

Anyways I have this old menu program by Yogi (I think) that was designed to be able to be booted from drive 1, and read a large size .atr disk in drive 2.

Well for one I cannot seem to figure out what size, density, etc disk to create in APE to get it to be able to read the disk. Anyone know?

But I'd really like to find a menu program that can do the same thing, but that is a little more flexible. Like using the joystick to select a game or maybe even custom "real" titles for games (11 characters is limiting).

Also does anyone know of a good DOS or windows program that will allow me to manipulate files between .ATR disks? Doing it thru my atari is kinda painstaking. lol

Thanks!

I dug up an older thread that says ape has a built in exe loader.. here is the text...

If your already using APE then just copy all your atari EXE files into a directory, set the pc-mirror to that directory on Drive 1 and boot from the pc-mirror.  

APE has a built in exe loader that will load pretty much anything since it takes up no memory on the atari (it hides in the 6502 stack).

But the person does not really say how to activate this built in exe loader, or use it. The ape documentation is far from useful, in fact I think it is "under construction". lol

ITs REAL easy with APE - Right clik on a drive or use one of the menu options to setup a 'PC MIRROR' (something along those lines).

Pick a diretory on your PC and APE will show that on your Atari as the drive you pick -

Therefore, put your .exes in a dir - setup the PC Mirror - load th exe you want to play - real simple

The dos version has an actual manual? lol..

cool..

BTW I figured it out... I was so busy playing mondo cool games (or at least trying to). It's enough to give the copyright police fits!!

Anyways I found a nice little program to extract all the binaries I had sitting in .ATR files as well.

I like the built in ape menu though, it allows you to place things in directories!!

it seems that mareks site moved to www.marek-tomczyk.de

http://www.marek-tomczyk.de/8bit.html

On this site you find the so called "cube menu" for large ATRs. works perfect in atari emulator... you need to mount this ATR with the menu in disc1 and in disc2 your atr... by pressing "SHIFT" the directory will be loaded (dont care about boot error message when 1st started)

http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~sgl/atari/

by pressing space (can not remember exactly) you can scroll down the listing...

hope that helps

cheers, karolj

Archived