IGNORED

Looping

MegaManFan

Is there a ROM to download to try this out before buying it?

DP generally doesn't release their ROMs until after all of the physical games are completely sold. The Crack’ed/Pick Up/Save The Whales dumps of this past Winter were unauthorized.

If you have a Colecovision, I believe you can try out the CV version..though it would be nothing like the 2600 version.

I dunno

I thought that I had the CV version but I double checked so I guess not.

It sounds cool though.

I shall summarize to the best of what I know:

1. Looping will debut at CGE for sale in nifty keen-o Coleco-reminsent boxes and everything. Unsure as to price.

2. Looping will then be immediately available after the show for sale at an on-line store for everyone who didn't make it to Vegas.

3. There is no ROM to try out at this time.

And with nifty cease and desist letters too?  I hope not

Actually you bring up a good point. With the rash of C&D letters that have been going around lately I wonder if CGE Sevices properly secured the copyrights to this game (and the Entity for that matter). I noticed that the box, although in Coleco style, doesn't mention Coleco anywhere. While this is a good start does that actually obsolve you form all legal problems?

However that being said, I'm not exactly sure who you would ask about the copyright. Coleco? They're gone. VentureLine? I'm sure they're long gone. I'd guess that you'd have to ask whoever owned the properties of both these companies. Not a legal mess I'd want to get into...

Tempest

Actually you bring up a good point. With the rash of C&D letters that have been going around lately I wonder if CGE Sevices properly secured the copyrights to this game (and the Entity for that matter). I noticed that the box, although in Coleco style, doesn't mention Coleco anywhere. While this is a good start does that actually obsolve you form all legal problems?

Hell, no. This practice is full of legal wirewalking and we're all holding our breath every time a trademark games is, let's be honest, bootlegged in this way. The Looping logo would eb copyrighted, as would the game concept, as would the name and logo of Venture Line. The game was probably financed by Coleco so they really own it, not the programmer. The box is a carbon copy of Coleco's copyrighted design.

The hope is that no one cares about these companies anymore, but rest assured that someone out there who owns the company name and properties or is able to activate such ownership should a use arise. Maybe some young relative of a Venture Line CEO still has the rights to their games sitting in a drawer somewhere. Lawsuit time. Add in a Coleco copyright holder and all hell could break loose, They could nail the programmer, DP, probably even the expo for allowing an object which they KNOW to be unliscensed to be sold. The courts are being very kind to corporations who sue over copyright infringement and we all know that the repro maker would lose.

We just hope that no one interferes, but I'd be amazed if a lawsuit didn't occur someday.

Oh there's always someone out there that cares. Like this guy:

I have no problem with free designs & ROMs, I have a problem with assholes making money off other peoples work, that is why I have been tracking down all the copyright owners and snail mailing them detailed information of their copyrights being infringe upon

Tempest

Oh, I see. THAT kind. I'm sure he's looking for a cut of any damages so he can see some of the MILLIONS that this hobby generates every year.

My hope is that the potential rewards are too small to cover the legal costs involved in filing a lawsuit.

I am a strong believer in public domain. I feel that if a product or idea is taken off the market for 10 or more years, then all rights should be relinquished so that we are all free to enjoy.

I am a strong believer in public domain. I feel that if a product or idea is taken off the market for 10 or more years, then all rights should be relinquished so that we are all free to enjoy

Well my theory hs always been that if the programmer gives permission and the company is no longer in business then it's all good with me.

Tempest

Looping will debut at CGE for sale in nifty keen-o Coleco-reminsent boxes

And with nifty keen-o Coleco-reminsent manuals!

How about also in them not-quite-as-nifty-yet-somehow-keeno Coleco-reminiscent cartridge cases? Or are they just going for two out of three in terms of replication?

Looping will debut at CGE for sale in nifty keen-o Coleco-reminsent boxes

And with nifty keen-o Coleco-reminsent manuals!

How about also in them not-quite-as-nifty-yet-somehow-keeno Coleco-reminiscent cartridge cases? Or are they just going for two out of three in terms of replication?

You know, I never thought about that myself. I have no idea, but it *would* be cool if they were in the white plastic Coleco case with the black label. But finding a bunch of those carts would be a pain, and you'd probably also have to custom make a circuit board to fit too. We'll see when it debuts.

I have no idea, but it *would* be cool if they were in the white plastic Coleco case with the black label.

That's the first thing I thought of when I read the ad... I didnt know the different carts needed different boards. I was thinking if they did just come in a black atari case, I'd swap it with an old Donkey Kong one. The lables would be easy to make since they're mostly black with no pictures.

Is that the real name? Is that "person" still around and do you know if is the one responsible for the latest Fox trouble?

Yeah, he still around, I think that quote is from the Shamus II cart discussion in the 8-bit forum. What an ass.

Is that the real name? Is that "person" still around and do you know if is the one responsible for the latest Fox trouble?  

I don't know who he is, but yes he is still around, check the Shamus Thread. He could be the one responsible for the Fox trouble, but then again so could several other people.

Tempest

DP generally doesn't release their ROMs until after all of the physical games are completely sold. The Crack’ed/Pick Up/Save The Whales dumps of this past Winter were unauthorized.

Ummmm, okay lemme ask you this. I have a Rom Release Binary folder that came straight out of Atari with Crack'd contained with in it (actually 3 duplicate sets of eproms)....

So are you saying because someone else is selling the games and if those images weren't released back this past winter and today I decide to dump and release my eprom images of Crack'd, that it is "unauthorized" (I don't own copies of the others so I'm just talking about Crack'd here...)

I own the source eproms, right outta Atari no less... Now, accordingly NO ONE has any right to release or sell this stuff,lets be honest here, so how is it if someone buys a copy of the games, they now OWN the games, and they dump and post them, its that unauthorized, don't they now own a copy of the game to do with as they please... did they sign a waiver when they bought the games stating "I will not dump/post an image of this game for a period of no less then 6 months from time of purchase." ???

Respectfully, as common courteousy, there should be a sort of unwritten rule not to release such items and give the people selling stuff (in this case, DP) a chance to sell their wares (warez???) for a period of time, maybe 6 months, but after that, then it quite frankly should be long enough for someone to have an exclusive control over something, well, that they shouldn't have control over in the first place since they don't own it. Then if it gets released, so be it.

There of course is a different situation all together for an original homebrew title and the owner who wrote it and owns it, rights to release it.

Curt

do you know if is the one responsible for the latest Fox trouble?

Just curious, what is the latest Fox trouble?

Last year, when I did the instruction manual for PickUp and Save The Whales, I included the 20th Century log. Sean removed it and told me they received a letter from 20th Century Fox. Apparently the game could be sold without a problem as long as the 20th Century Fox logo was removed.

This year I'm doing the Entity and Looping manuals. So far I have included the Fox logo on the Entity manual but I will probably remove it before the final draft. As far as Looping is concerned, I put a big Coleco on the back cover and I wasn't told to remove it yet. We'll see!

humm.. all very interesting.  

i hope it does come in a coleco white case, there are plenty of worthless dks out there.

Agreed, but it's far easier to find 100+ Combats/Pac-Man than it is to find 100+ Donkey Kong/Zaxxons. We'll see. After all, Chris came up with 50+ Parker Brothers carts for the New England meet!