IGNORED

Loading CONFIG.SYS in Altirra

TGB1718

On 5/9/2020 at 10:09 AM, flashjazzcat said:

Perhaps @phaeron can shed some light.

With Fastboot enabled, I see in the debugger (after monitoring SDX read requests on sector 1 of the boot volume) that high level emulation is stepping in and bypassing the PBI BIOS:

Capture.thumb.PNG.67412390157f8f74af943f6ec3674a93.PNG

Pictured is a read operation with DUNIT = 3 (CONFIG.SYS volume). Enabling SIO Override Detection does not make a difference, so my advice is to ensure Fastboot is disabled.

Fast boot intercepts requests to non-existent disk drives, so if there is no disk mounted on D1: it will suppress those commands. SIO Override Detection can't work here because that works by letting the first request through, which would defeat the purpose. Switching to PBI intercept should work, though I think there may be issues with SDX using a different priority order than the Atari OS for PBI devices.

• Like 3

• 3 years later...

I have been trying (without success) to load CONFIG.SYS from D1: APT drive in Altirra, even though I have set the parameters correctly in the BIOS,

It works without issue on real hardware, U1MB+SIDE3, so looks like some sort of issue/setting is there in Altirra. No matter I define D1: as a Boot drive or not a Boot drive.

What is the solution? I am using Altirra 4.10 .

Thank you,

Peter

image.thumb.png.02855b0cc652df31ed439d14869f2b6e.pngimage.thumb.png.61aa4ee27bb7b8021e39ea5e6ec84a8d.png

8 hours ago, KPeter said:

I have been trying (without success) to load CONFIG.SYS from D1: APT drive in Altirra, even though I have set the parameters correctly in the BIOS,

It works without issue on real hardware, U1MB+SIDE3, so looks like some sort of issue/setting is there in Altirra. No matter I define D1: as a Boot drive or not a Boot drive.

What is the solution? I am using Altirra 4.10 .

Thank you,

Peter

image.thumb.png.02855b0cc652df31ed439d14869f2b6e.pngimage.thumb.png.61aa4ee27bb7b8021e39ea5e6ec84a8d.png

Make sure that Altirra is not using the "fast boot" option.  Go to Configure System/Computer/Acceleration.  If that option is checked, it will cause that issue.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 2:42 PM, Stephen said:

Make sure that Altirra is not using the "fast boot" option. 

That old cookie, completely forgot about it, it's tripped me up a few times in the past :)

Often wondered, is it a bug/feature of Altirra ?

Edited by TGB1718

7 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

That old cookie, completely forgot about it, it's tripped me up a few times in the past :)

Often wondered, is it a bug/feature of Altirra ?

Not a bug - if I understand correctly, some of what it bypasses in the original OS code to make the machine boot faster is needed to make the U1MB properly read the config.  @flashjazzcat I'm sure can fill in the details.