IGNORED

Should I bring back my Atari 2600 pages?

Random Terrain

A Little History Before the Question

Back in the first half of 2001 when Homestead.com still gave away free web sites with unlimited bandwidth, I had a semi-lame Atari 2600 site. Homestead started charging around the end of the summer, so I had to get rid of the Atari 2600 site and after 9/11 of the same year, I lost interest in things like Atari 2600 game collecting. Now I'm becoming interested again.

I recently switched to a new host that gives me a lot more bandwidth a month than I ever had at Homestead after they made us pay, so I'm thinking about adding an Atari 2600 section to the "Random Terrain" area of my web site that will have the old ad scans, incomplete timeline, and a few other things.

The Question

Should I spend time to redo my Atari 2600 pages or are there too many Atari 2600 pages clogging up the internet already? I might do it no matter what anyone says, but I wondered what other people who are also interested in the Atari 2600 think about it before I spend weeks or months on a new project like that.

Thanks for your input.

Should I spend time to redo my Atari 2600 pages or are there too many Atari 2600 pages clogging up the internet already?

The Answer

There will never be too many Atari 2600 pages in the net. :)

Try something different, concentrating on something new (e.g. reviewing or categorizing other peoples Atari websites (or shows?) or maybe everything about the homebrew scene, starting with... Skeet Shoot? ;)).

I agree, if you have something you'd like to say about the 2600, then by all means create some 2600 pages. :) If you have something unique you'd like to contribute that generally hasn't been done on other sites, then all the better, as that content will help bring people to your site. But even then, if you just want to talk about your favorite system, people who go to your main site for other reasons may stumble across it, not even looking for Atari-related material, but still be intrigued by what they read. :)

..Al

Thanks Albert for another "yes" vote. Although it will be hard work recreating a version of my old "Fi's Atari 2600 Memories" pages, it should be fun. I'm glad I saved all of the images I scanned in.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with, and if you're having fun that's the most important part. :) Have you tried looking in in the Wayback Machine for a copy of your old site?

..Al

Thanks for the link. I didn't know that place existed.

I have copies of my old web site, but they are unusable because my web design skills were even worse two years ago than they are now, so those pages are useless to me. The only things worthy of attention are the scans (which I'll have to re-optimize to meet my current standards) and the incomplete Atari 2600 game timeline will have to be adjusted. I'm "re-creating" my pages only in the sense that they will have similar content, but they won't look as horrible as before.

Thanks Albert for another "yes" vote. Although it will be hard work recreating a version of my old "Fi's Atari 2600 Memories" pages, it should be fun. I'm glad I saved all of the images I scanned in.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with, and if you're having fun that's the most important part. :) Have you tried looking in in the Wayback Machine for a copy of your old site?

..Al

Interesting that you recommend the site, and block it via robots from viewing your own site! ;)