IGNORED

Atari SC1435 repair? (possible cracked PCB/RGB port.)

leech

So I've had my SC1435 since 91/92.  At some point it was exhibiting a behavior where it would just flicker, and then it mostly stopped working, unless I'd put pressure down on the RGB port.  I took it apart way back when and it looked like the PCB had cracked a bit around the port.  Just now I checked it again after many many years, and the tube does still work, and I got a picture, though it was freaking out and had no vertical hold on it.  But I still had to put pressure down on the cable for it to work, and this is after I found the rgb port was actually loose (cracked solder joints).  I put some more solder on it, but I'm thinking it's still cracked in places.

Might have to wait until after the world goes back to more of a 'normal', but is anyone out there good at repairing such things?

It is kind of hard to see, but there is a crack right under the SK4and it actually goes between the pins on the RGB port to the other side.  So a nice line between the set of 4 and 5 pins.  Doesn't look like it breaks any other traces but those.  But of course according to the schematic,  pin 6 is going to the composite sync (which would explain the lack of sync).  The other two go to HOR(?) And VOR(?)  Guessing horizontal and vertical.  Pin 6 is not connected, and 1 goes to the shell, and 3,4,5 are RGB. 

I may just try to cut/patch the traces of the broken PCB, and see if that fixes it.

20200425_122456.jpg

2 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Normal would be to get some ohm-meter, with which can check those lines. And more - since hardly will find some only ohm-meter, but so called unimer - universal meter, will be able to check voltages, measuring current. Such things are not so expensive today.

So, took the multimeter to it and a soldering iron and a rasor blade.  Scrapped away the PCB coating, soldered up the connections to bridge the crack and... I got a picture!

Unfortunately it is a bit blue, and our Little Green Desktop appears Yellow...

So looks like I need to go back inside and fix the red color! 

20200426_002908.jpg

Edited by leech
  • Like 2

On 4/26/2020 at 12:27 AM, leech said:

So, took the multimeter to it and a soldering iron and a rasor blade.  Scrapped away the PCB coating, soldered up the connections to bridge the crack and... I got a picture!

Unfortunately it is a bit blue, and our Little Green Desktop appears Yellow...

So looks like I need to go back inside and fix the red color! 

20200426_002908.jpg

Successsssssss!  My preciousssssss

20200503_165046.jpg

• Like 1