IGNORED

Falcon 030 - Repair Service in the USA?

I had a perfectly functional Atari Falcon computer (TOS4.04) with a dead Dallas NVRAM chip.  Like a fool, I removed the Dallas chip and installed a row of sockets and installed the new NVRAM.  With the mainboard on anti-static sheet, I powered the motherboard up (no drives or keyboard) and it went through the memory test and into TOS desktop.  Success!

BUT

I removed power and installed back into the bottom shielding (with cardboard insulation), re-soldered the wire braid on the audio in/out to the shield and installed into the bottom case, installed the PSU and CF hard drive (no top shielding) and the computer will not boot up.  I have a mostly red screen with vertical lines/bands/bars when I power up the Falcon now.

Tried the following:

1. pulled all socketed chips and re-inserted them

2. looked visually for anything obvious

3. re-set the NVRAM via jumper on the new module, tried with original Dallas chip, and with no NVRAM chip and the results are the same (or a very similar reddish screen with blue vertical bars)

4. removed the RAM board (result is slightly different pattern vertical black bar down middle, but red screen with vertical blue lines)

5. tried different 16mb SIM (same result as #3)

I am no electronics expert but I feel confident the new NVRAM was installed correctly, evidenced by the fact that it DID boot after the install.  I'm confident I broke something during re-assembly either cold solder joint or some kind of short occurred.

IN SUMMARY

If your Falcon boots with a dead NVRAM - LEAVE IT THE HELL ALONE.

I am not doing anything else as I'm afraid of doing more damage.  I don't own a scope/equipment nor possess the expertise necessary to diagnose the problem.  Is there anyone in the US that can repair a Falcon 030?

61059168308__EA1F39B0-E9F7-40D0-8A9E-10B4F49024FA.JPG

61059333937__85F5DFA9-A24A-4832-941E-629203835B37.JPG

32 minutes ago, swatcop said:

@ToddUGA thanks.  I knew Paul did amiga stuff, but was unaware he did Falcon repairs?  Its already on its way to Centurion Technologies in the Czech Republic after talking to Pavel earlier.

While he's mostly known for Amiga repairs he actually works on pretty much any classic console/computer.

Damn sorry to hear.  I did the same thing on mine and removed the Dallas chip and installed socket and everything thankfully went well.  Sounds like you did everything right.  Did you maybe flex the motherboard?  Like you said it could be a cold solder joint.  Also maybe try to reseat the TOS chip or maybe get a replacement.    Good luck, hope you get it working!

On 5/8/2020 at 9:45 PM, ToddUGA said:

While he's mostly known for Amiga repairs he actually works on pretty much any classic console/computer.

I contacted Paul on an unrelated topic (A2000 re-cap) and asked him about the Falcon while we were discussing that.  Just FYI, he said he would recommend I send the Falcon out to somebody else.  He is going to install RAM sockets into my Mega ST2 when I send the Amiga to him.  I just have to find an anti-static bag for the Mega though!?!

@tjlazer I'm pretty sure I must have flexed the motherboard or something.  Trust me I've replayed the whole thing a 1000 times in my head.  It worked after the NVRAM/chip socket install but on reflection I did struggle with getting the motherboard/bottom shielding back into the bottom case.  That pretty much has to be where I screwed up :|

@walter_J64bit  https://centuriontech.eu

• 6 months later...

I wanted to update this in case anyone in the future has a similar issue it may save some time diagnosing.

Diagnosis from Centurion Technologies:

There were actually three problems compiled: reset circuit stuck high due to completely dead capacitor, cold solder joint on clock patch wiring (no clock on CPU) and reset switch without contact.

Since receiving my Falcon back (in October), it has been problem free other than the NVRAM won't hold time. I do need to contact Centurion Tech and see if its something I'm doing or if its a faulty unit. 

IMG_6589.jpeg

Edited by swatcop
Typo
  • Like 1