IGNORED

God I love Circus Atari!

pitfallaimee

I've been logging a lot of time on the VCS lately, and I've fallen in love with Circus Atari once again; I really think it's one of the best "Breakout" style games you can get...and for the first time ever, I rolled it! And since that's the first game I ever rolled, I'm reasonably pleased with myself. :) Not that anyone cares. :P

Congratulations on rolling Circus. I also think its a great game to play, it kind of reminds me a little of Kickman, that is one game I would love to have it had come out and to play it with the track-ball would have been awesome.

:D :ponder: :!:

Congratulations on rolling Circus.  I also think its a great game to play, it kind of reminds me a little of Kickman, that is one game I would love to have it had come out and to play it with the track-ball would have been awesome.

:D  :ponder:  :!:

i used to play Kickman all the time at the little caesars place on eureka :D

loved kicking balloons :)

Congratulations on rolling Circus.  I also think its a great game to play, it kind of reminds me a little of Kickman, that is one game I would love to have it had come out and to play it with the track-ball would have been awesome.

I haven't played Circus Atari in some time, but it is a fun paddle game. It seems many of the paddle games are a lot of fun, Breakout, Super Breakout, Kaboom!, SCSIcide, Marble Craze, Circus Atari, etc. I think this partly has to do with the analog nature of the paddle controller.

As for Kickman, we'll have a demo at AGE of Mike Mika's current implementation of Kickman for the 2600. Shows a lot of promise, and I look forward to Mike having some time to finish it. :)

..Al

At risk of not adding anything interesting or controversial to this monumental thread, I too love Circus Atari. It's odd, I first played it as a homebrew on a PS1 Net Yaroze compilation - It's true that these soft drugs can get you hooked on harder things, and nothings harder than a heavy sixer:)

I'll have to check it out more.

I think I played it once but I got bored.

Is it where you have to bounce off the trampoline and pop the balloons?

I usually lost control and the poor guy hit the ground many times. Eh well.

Albert, do you know if the Kickman will use the Track-ball or paddle? The arcade game used a track-ball and I for one think that is the best way to go.

Lemmi, I used to play Kickman at a pizza shop in Detroit on Clark st. when it came out, people were playing it more than Pac-man.

:? :ponder: :)

Circust Atari was among the original eight games I got for the Atari waaaaay back in 1981 and I've always rather liked it. I remember once I burned my hand pretty badly and Circus Atari was one of the few games I could still play because it only really required one hand. :-) (Too bad I didn't have Kaboom or Breakout at the time!)

I think every one enjoys a good laugh the first time they see a clown spalt... it's a rare example of morbid humor in an early video game!

I think every one enjoys a good laugh the first time they see a clown spalt... it's a rare example of morbid humor in an early video game!

I always liked bouncing the guy in Human Cannonball off the walls and seeing if I could "reload" the cannon.

One of my original favs.. I forget which Game Variation was my favorite but there was a definite difference in the interaction between you and the balloons in some of them. I had Sears Circus and my more vivid memory was there was a party at my house and this group of grownups was playing Circus.. anyway, one of the ladies (or maybe she was 18-20.. I dunno) was playing it and laughed so hard at the 'dead clown' when it hit the ground she peed her pants! :ponder:

One of my original favs.. I forget which Game Variation was my favorite but there was a definite difference in the interaction between you and the balloons in some of them. I had Sears Circus and my more vivid memory was there was a party at my house and this group of grownups was playing Circus.. anyway, one of the ladies (or maybe she was 18-20.. I dunno) was playing it and laughed so hard at the 'dead clown' when it hit the ground she peed her pants!  :ponder:

Ya, game 3 is a little easier, the clown flies through the balloons instead of bouncing around off them popping, I always played 3 as a kid, I musta logged 1000 hours on that game

she peed her pants! :D

Circus Atari is definately one fun game to play!

Plus it has the added distinction of being one of the first GORY video  games, much in the same tradition as say... Mortal Kombat or Doom.

I remember feeling a little woozy the first time I saw the violence in Circus Atari... :lol: Oddly enough it was the same feeling as when I later saw Mortal Kombat and Doom... (I am not kidding BTW.)

It has always been one of my favourite 2600 games and was one of the few games I had when I was a youngin'.

Game 3 was always good for laughs and lashings of the old ultraviolence.

Nah...you could give Gun Fight (1975) that honor.  Not "mangled clown"-violence, but character "deaths" nevertheless.

But did your body get blown apart into little pieces in Gun Fight??? Or maybe the lower half of your body disintagrate in a spray of crimson and bone???

GORY is like the splaterred bloody oozey upper body of a clown with only his legs sticking up in the air to tell you that this puddle was once a young vibrant funny man *sniff*...Death is just...Dead.

The difference is comparable to the appearance of GORE in films...

There was GORE before Herschel Gordon Lewis, but he was the first film director to linger on the GORE, much like Circus Atari was the first game to linger on it as we were left open mouthed and aghast to watch the Clown's bloody, twitching legs, protuding from a gelatinous pile that was once the unsullied body of a healthy, productive and athletic human being.

For this reason, I say that Circus Atari was indeed, the very first home game worthy of being deemed mature - and I will further proselytize that, if Circus Atari were to be released today, its mature theme would guarantee sales in the millions... to a gaming public starving for - and deserving - mature titles.