IGNORED

replacement monitor for use with the ST

I read a good page a while back about finding a working multiscan monitor to use with the ST, I think it was on atari-forum but not sure.  At any rate, there was a good number of suggestions coming from users, one in particular was the NEC 1970VX, but I read here recently that that monitor was not providing both high and low rez (and medium) with a quality picture.  The wiki page is not that useful, seems to be a lot of possibilities without true user experience, so I would like those suggestions that users have had that were good experiences before I go chasing after monitors that are not really useful.  Thanks!

I have a NEC 1970VX and I can confirm that mine does work with all three resolutions. I get a decent enough picture with Low and High, but Medium isn't all that great. A lot of the text seems to be missing pixels and it's just sort of fuzzy. I posted some pictures of my STF on my NEC 1970VX and you can check them out here.

Honestly, I finally purchased an OSSC and a STE SCART cable from Cool Novelties, and I can't imagine anything else ever providing a better image than that combination. It is a very expensive option though, and it only works for the two color modes. I use High Res using a Best Electronics ST to VGA cable and my OSSC. Using the OSSC I can output via HDMI and connect to any modern display that I wish to use.

• Like 1

Hi b, that is exactly the post I was thinking of.  In that post a fair number said the 1970VX was pretty much perfect, but your experience is noted as that is not the case, which is why I wanted to explore this more before committing time and money into getting this project off the ground, thanks!

Yes, it is a good monitor with a decent picture, medium res quirks aside. I'd still be using it if I hadn't decided to spend the money on an OSSC. I wasn't necessarily planning to purchase an OSSC. I just got a lot more for a 520STM and a couple of SC1224 monitors that I auctioned off than I had expected and the OSSC was an impulse buy.

• Like 1