IGNORED

Found a 4-switcher, needs serious cleaning

SpiceWare

Somebody emptied their car in the back corner of the parking lot where I work. In the pile was a 4 switcher, multiple controllers, 3 cartridges(Atari combat & human cannonball and tele-games demons to diamonds) and the power adapter.

The Atari's really dusty, but otherwise looks fine. Any suggestions on what I should use to clean it up? I'm going to hit rat shack on my way home and am considering this. Would this work well for the paddles as well as the console?

Funny thing is I'd bought a 6-switcher 2 weeks ago so I'd have a real Atari to play on. I'll have to give the 4 switcher to my brother or sister, they were really interested when I told them I'd been playing Kaboom and was working on writing Rally-X for the Atari.

I recommend a can of compressed air to get at all the cranies inside and "blowout" the cartridge slot and any internal workings.

I also use "Wet Ones" - cleaning cloths that can take care of unsightly dust on the plastic without taking the Atari apart.

They are invaluable for any controllers too

post-3765-1058844606.jpg

didn't have time to clean it, but did turn it on.  System ran OK but the RESET switch is flaky, I had to hit hit 5-6 times before a game will start.

That's usually not a problem - after the cleaning, spray a little contact cleaner in and under where the reset switch slides and work the switch back and forth for a few dozen cycles (with power off, of course!) and you may find it works reliably again. I'd do this with ALL of the switches just to get the contacts nice and clean.

Take the time to take it apart. Set the plastic shell (withour the electronics) in HOT soapy dish water and use a toothbrush to scrub everything. Let it dry completely before you put it back together. You will not believe the results, it will look brand new - even if it has pop and smoke stains. This will give it a shiney look - do NOT use Armorall on it. When it is apart is a good time to spray the contact cleaner in the switches. Make sure that you put the black felt circles back over the switches so dust does not enter them. Also, if you use compressed air in the game slot - make sure you hold the can straight up, don't let it go on it's side - it may spray this vapor crap that will be very hard to remove.

thanx for the tips all, will be cleaning it up tonight!

How did radioshack become known as "rat shack" anyway?

Dunno - probably something to do with their TRS-80 computers being refered to as "Trash-80". So maybe trash -> garbage -> rats -> rat shack? The Commodore computers were referred to as "Commode Door", don't recall the others.