IGNORED

Atari 800 Power Supply Question

Jason1024

Hi Everyone,

Hope this finds you well. I have a few of the 51 Watt power supplies from various sources, mostly eBay. They all of these seem to output @ ~10.8V AC per my multimeter.

Many thanks in advance for any guidance. Regardless of how this pans out a big thank you to the many people who contribute their time and knowledge on the forums here.

Atari 9V AC power supplies are just a transformer and a fuse inside.  If you have voltage between 9ish and 11ish volts AC (depending on your meter) then it is good.

The most common problem with these is the fuse blows.  Then you have to get inside (usually involves cutting/prying/coaxing them apart) and replacing the fuse.

The genuine 800 uses 9V AC, not 9V DC.  That Jameco supply will not work on an 800 (or any 9V AC powered ATARI computer or peripheral).

49 minutes ago, cwilbar said:

Atari 9V AC power supplies are just a transformer and a fuse inside.  If you have voltage between 9ish and 11ish volts AC (depending on your meter) then it is good.

This is good to hear. I've read a few posts about transformers aging leading to higher voltages so was worried.

The most common problem with these is the fuse blows.  Then you have to get inside (usually involves cutting/prying/coaxing them apart) and replacing the fuse.

Have read about this.

The genuine 800 uses 9V AC, not 9V DC.  That Jameco supply will not work on an 800 (or any 9V AC powered ATARI computer or peripheral).

D'oh--for some reason I read that as an AC to AC power supply. My mistake.

Thank you!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Paul Westphal said:

Besides OEM power supplies, I have found that the modern 400/800 power supplies from 8 bit classics are excellent.

Thank you for the suggestion. This one seems the closest:

https://www.8bitclassics.com/product/atari-400-800-1050-ac-adapter/

I was hoping to find a power supply rated at 3-5 amps (vs. 1.5). From what I've read 1.5 is OK for stock but may not be enough for all configurations/mods.

Thanks again!

I found a 1.5A from Jameco for half that (not sure how shipping would compare between the two).

https://www.jameco.com/z/ADU090150-9-Volt-1-5-Amp-13-5-Watt-AC-AC-Wall-Adapter_2227444.html

Finding > 1.5A 9V is not an easy search.  For every AC supply you find dozens of DC supplies.... no matter how well you try to eliminate them in the search results.