IGNORED

Odynexus, a new Atari Lynx game!!!

LordKraken

• 1 month later...

My copy finally made it to France =]

I'm a bit unlucky though, cause the very first cart insertion significantly damaged the sticker (left and right corners, above the pins).

I guess it's likely that either the label wasn't fully stuck to begin with, or somehow unstuck itself with the heat at some point.

I took it pretty well, cause despite the wonderful job on the physical aspect of the whole thing, the 0s and 1s is what matters most to me.

Anyway, it was definitely worth the wait, big hugs to everybody involved.

I might have a couple questions to Alex on my way:

Other than the weapon upgrade reset, does hard mode change anything else?

Is the hunt for any secret (of any kind) a waste of time?

Merci d'avance, la bise.

• Sad 1

ah sorry to hear about the stickers... (check your pm).

Hard mode increase the waves frequency, so there is no time to breath, and waves can sometimes mixed with each other. 

There is no other secret than the obvious hommage in level 1 that I expect every frenchmen (and women) to find immediately :) But I'll make sure my next games will have some hidden content now that I start to understand the beast pretty well :)

Finally completed a personal challenge of mine, finish the normal mode without losing any life (score 1761, for the record).

Took more tries than i expected, until i optimised weapon-switching, especially for the later levels.

By the way, are remaining lives converted to points at the end?

That would give a reason to do deathless runs.

Regarding the score system, for those who wonder:

- extra points: +10

- extra life: +7 (undocumented)

- anything else: +5 (undocumented)

Edited by xhul
  • Like 1

On 8/10/2024 at 11:40 AM, xhul said:

Aight, managed to complete the hard mode, after many attempts, 2032 points.

Level 5 is definitely the most unforgiving.

Congrats! I have managed to beat hard mode today, I think the difficulty is still moderate compared to other shmups.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2024 at 11:20 AM, agradeneu said:

Congrats! I have managed to beat hard mode today, I think the difficulty is still moderate compared to other shmups.

When it comes to beating the game, "moderate" sounds accurate.

Fortunately, the learning curve is there, and it's rewarding.

When it comes to scoring as high as possible, i really like the fact that the hard mode is more rewarding.

Also, we still don't know if remaining lives give extra points at the end, which is if you ask me, a very big deal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, xhul said:

When it comes to beating the game, "moderate" sounds accurate.

Fortunately, the learning curve is there, and it's rewarding.

When it comes to scoring as high as possible, i really like the fact that the hard mode is more rewarding.

Also, we still don't know if remaining lives give extra points at the end, which is if you ask me, a very big deal.

Great to hear you are enjoying it! 

Of course, we are considering a possible sequel (Disclaimer: This is not an anouncement!;)).

Any suggestions what you would love to see in a second game?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, agradeneu said:

I think it does not. 

That's the kind of thing that rewards deathless runs, but also increases replayability when high-scoring.

1 hour ago, agradeneu said:

Any suggestions what you would love to see in a second game?

More testing, though i completely understand how hard it is to trust humans when it comes to physical releases.

By the way, if you're looking for a tester at some point, don't hesitate to let me know, it didn't take me long to discover an exploit in Odynexus (that i won't utter here), too late i guess.

Anyway, if it follows a similar video & audio artistic direction, everything's forgiven =]

Edited by xhul
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, xhul said:

That's the kind of thing that rewards deathless runs, but also increases replayability when high-scoring.

More testing, though i completely understand how hard it is to trust humans when it comes to physical releases.

By the way, if you're looking for a tester at some point, don't hesitate to let me know, it didn't take me long to discover an exploit in Odynexus (that i won't utter here), too late i guess.

Anyway, if it follows a similar video & audio artistic direction, everything's forgiven =]

We tested a long time, but then, some stuff always slips through. 

I mean what would you like to see content/gameplay wise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xhul said:

I've tested the game a lot, providing a bunch of feedback (not all of it could be processed due to limitations).

Curious to know what could have used more testing in your opinion? 

More testing is no solution to find bugs. The right testing. But doing so for interactive software is difficult.

Letting complete gaming dummies test it. They do stuff a common gamer would not.

Edited by 42bs

3 hours ago, Ninjabba said:

Curious to know what could have used more testing in your opinion? 

What i meant is that it's all about having more people to actually play the game, increasing the chance to spot stuff, thus getting more feedback at the end.

But again, i completely understand the choice to limit the access to the data before release, there's definitely some wisdom in that.

As far as i'm concerned, i've already come across 1 exploit, 1 collision bug, 1 display glitch, 1 audio glitch, and some game system stuff that would have significantly improved the game if changed.

But don't get me wrong, i'm not saying all of those would have been easily fixed|changed if known before release.

Fortunately, the overall experience is far from being compromised, and that's what matters most =]

Edited by xhul
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, xhul said:

As far as i'm concerned, i've already come across 1 exploit, 1 collision bug, 1 display glitch, 1 audio glitch, and some game system stuff that would have significantly improved the game if changed.

Gotcha. Some were definitely addressed during testing, but bugs and glitches can be very hard to spot in these type of games. Indeed a bigger group of testers would increase the chance of finding those. I guess it could be still worth sharing them with @LordKraken in private.