IGNORED

Crashed HD on a Mega STe

Ok, I’ve got my Mega STe started...but after the memory check, I get four bombs. I can get programs to load if I interrupt the memory check, but have no mouse support. Options? Yes, yes...I should know better, but haven’t used a ST in ages, and even then just for a little word processing.

When you say no mouse support, do you mean there is no mouse plugged in? The ST has mouse drivers in the ROM so doesn't need to load from disk. If the mouse isn't responding when you get to the desktop then there is either a hard ware issue (the keyboard is a likely culprit as the Mega STe/ TT keyboard mouse connector loves breaking) or the computer is freezing. Try using the 'hold down alternate key on the keyboard and press the arrow keys' trick to see if you can move the mouse cursor that way (holding 'alternate' and pressing 'insert' is the same as a left click).

The crash during memory check may well indicate there is a memory problem rather than a HD problem, although that may well have gone bad given the age of it. I would probably open the hood and remove two of the four sticks of SIMM memory (assuming it has 4mb) and then try swapping the memory round to try and get the memory test to complete (it might be the sticks have just got a bit loose in storage or there is some mild corrosion).

David, any luck with your Mega STE?  Check that the floppy drive is working, that can cause 4 bombs if not connected properly.  Do you have the standard Atari mouse and have you tried it on another port?  Do you have another mouse to try or can you test that mouse on another Atari to check whether it is a problem with the mouse or the mouse port?

13 hours ago, MasterMotorola said:

David, any luck with your Mega STE?  Check that the floppy drive is working, that can cause 4 bombs if not connected properly.  Do you have the standard Atari mouse and have you tried it on another port?  Do you have another mouse to try or can you test that mouse on another Atari to check whether it is a problem with the mouse or the mouse port?

Haven't tried it since Monday, as my monitor problem is making this difficult to use. Once I get that sorted out (which should take about two weeks), I'll play around with the Mega STe a bit more. The keyboard does work, as I was using it with Phantasie III. I tried both an Atari mouse (the driver did load from memory) and an Amiga mouse -- no luck with either one.