IGNORED

No sound - help!

Redcurrie

When I first got my 7800 ( a couple of months ago), I hooked it up to a small, old TV via the usual "slide/switch" box and the connectors that are held down with screws and I had the game sound coming through the TV when I played. I have since hooked it up to my newer TV with one of the "boxless" connectors that just essentially changes the connector type (ie female on one end to accept the Atari input, male on the other to screw in like a cable line). I can now get no Atari sound out of my TV. My next move is to conduct a series of experiments with/without the box as its necessity is all that I can figure but I thought I'd ask, is this something common? If anyone knew the answer, I knew that it would be you guys.......

Thanks! :wink:

• 3 months later...

Okay, I had finally given up on figuring out what the problem was as I've gotten used to playing "soundless" games but this just doesn't work for some games that you need to be able to hear the sound (Dolphin comes to mind, not that I'd really want to play it but....). Anyway, I went on a mission this morning and I'll admit my own cluelessness here to spare others the trouble of figuring it out if it ever happens to you....not that it would. I didn't want to run the Atari sound through my surround sound system because I like to listen to the satellite 70s station while I play. If I wanted sound, it could come out of the TV so I have the Atari run straight into the AV connection on the TV (a Sony to be precise as that's relevant). I knew it wasn't a speaker problem as when I have the NES plugged into the RCA jacks on the front, I get sound. (I never have sound coming out of the TV for anything else as I have the surround sound system.) I now know that Sony remotes have a button on them labeled MTS which is unprotected and toggles between Stereo, Mono and SAP sound. For the record, if you have somehow managed to toggle this to SAP, NO SOUND WILL COME OUT! So there you have it. The worst part is that I actually had to read the instructions.... :ponder:

I now know that Sony remotes have a button on them labeled MTS which is unprotected and toggles between Stereo, Mono and SAP sound.  For the record, if you have somehow managed to toggle this to SAP, NO SOUND WILL COME OUT!  So there you have it.  The worst part is that I actually had to read the instructions.... :ponder:
Most newer TVs have that button, actually.

I now know that Sony remotes have a button on them labeled MTS which is unprotected and toggles between Stereo, Mono and SAP sound.  For the record, if you have somehow managed to toggle this to SAP, NO SOUND WILL COME OUT!  So there you have it.  The worst part is that I actually had to read the instructions.... :ponder:
Most newer TVs have that button, actually.

Putting it on the TV would have been much better because I wouldn't have accidentally poked it like I did with it on the remote..... :)

It is possible you've blown out one or both of the Poly RF caps, they are those little silver axial type capacitors wrapped in clear plastic (polycarbonate)

They are nestled right near the RF modulator to the left of the cartridge connector and are marked (820)...

You should try replacing those, Best Electronics still stocks replacements.

Curt

*chuckles*

Live, learn and share the knowledge, I say.

And oh, be able to laugh at yourself enough to post "I'm a dumbass" in so many words on a message board full of intelligent people. 8)

Well, actually I was laughing at posting a solution to a solved problem.

Though I dread the day TVs ahve no face buttons and everything is done by remote control.

• 1 month later...

On your switchbox, the two prongs that you screw onto the antenna screws, take an antenna prong( the black box with the pin in the center that you put on the wires of antennas) and screw it to the switchbox wires. This may work better, but I'm not sure. That is what I use on all my classic systems including 7800 and it works fine. If this doesnt help I can troubleshoot your system and clean it inside and out for $10.00. ( not including replacment parts or guarantees that I could fix it)

Hope this helped you! :D Sean Reynolds