IGNORED

Wizard of Wor - How IS the 5200 version?

OldSchoolRetroGamer

10 minutes ago, johnnywc said:

I'm a huge fan of the 8-bit version of Wizard of Wor; my brothers and I played it on the 800 for many hours and it was the main reason why I decided to update the 2600 version.  :D I would welcome an updated 8-bit version too! :thumbsup:  

....and may that 8-bit version become available for the 5200 as well!!!

Here @TIX is the OG 8-bit version, let's see what you can do with it, @johnnywc and the entire 5200 community can't wait to get our hands on an improved version (at least on rom) of the 8-bit (5200) version of WoW :)  You and @playsoft did such an incredible job with Moon Patrol Redux, let's see some of that same magic here!!!

Wizard Of Wor.bin

Edited by BIGHMW
spelling error

1 hour ago, BIGHMW said:

Here @TIX is the OG 8-bit version, let's see what you can do with it, @johnnywc and the entire 5200 community can't wait to get our hands on an improved version (at least on rom) of the 8-bit (5200) version of WoW :)  You and @playsoft did such an incredible job with Moon Patrol Redux, let's see some of that same magic here!!!

Wizard Of Wor.bin 32 kB · 2 downloads

Nope - I think you are asking too much.  From what I remember of Wizard of Wor is that it uses a low resolution - and you're asking the hacker/programmer to change the graphics mode to something of higher res (with more colors) to make it look far better.  This is no simple hack to do - but I'm no programmer but my guess is - this is unrealistic - an impossible task.

Of course it can be done better (say with a lot more animation going on) - but there's a whole lot of work involved in doing so.  I haven't seen the coin-op to know what that was like?

Harvey

9 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

hehe, don't get your hopes up..

I'm just an artist, I can work my way around redrawing and hacking-in sprites/players/missiles with good old 'hack-o-matic'.

But when it comes to playfield hacking, I'm useless without a coders help..

I spend a couple of hours yesterday searching the rom with 'omnivore' (I turned the bitmap Display to Antic D by @Cafeman's suggestion),

sadly I haven't found anything resembling the monsters.

So until a coder steps in, or I discover a better tool, I put this down the queue.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2020 at 5:08 AM, TIX said:

hehe, don't get your hopes up..

I'm just an artist, I can work my way around redrawing and hacking-in sprites/players/missiles with good old 'hack-o-matic'.

But when it comes to playfield hacking, I'm useless without a coders help..

I spend a couple of hours yesterday searching the rom with 'omnivore' (I turned the bitmap Display to Antic D by @Cafeman's suggestion),

sadly I haven't found anything resembling the monsters.

So until a coder steps in, or I discover a better tool, I put this down the queue.

I just had a look at the 8-bit computer version ROM in Omnivore.

You're using the right view, except it's easier to see if you make the byte width = 2, since each sprite is 2 bytes (4 pixels) wide.

When doing that, you end up with this starting at $3C9A.

461835731_omnivore-wizard.thumb.png.be2b714fc63c00737f372560d10d9a78.png

Having a look at the 5200 version, you end up with the same thing at $7CB3, but the sprite data doesn't line up like the 8-bit version; basically because the beginning of the sprite data just happens to fall in the file/ROM on an uneven byte number. I'm not sure if Omnivore has a way to shift the view of the bytes to accommodate (the ability ought to be added if it doesn't exist). I couldn't see how to do it in a quick scan of the menus, though.

Anyway, at least that gives you a starting point.

1316679414_omnivore-wizard5200.thumb.png.3becf7aeda741136847d4f2ab5796e0c.png

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 2