IGNORED

Atari 2600 Featured in Games tm magazine

rolenta

The June issue of Games tm (#7), which is now available in the United States, features the 2600 in its Retro section. They feature what they call the six best games for the system:

1) Sky Skipper

2) Pole Position

3) Battlezone

4) Pitfall

5) Mario Bros

6) COMBAT

The write-up for Combat clearly shows that the author doesn't know anything about the game:

"Year: 1978

Also known as Tank Plus, Combat came packaged with the 2600 and featured a massive 27 games all based around a combat theme. Much like Mario Party or Super Monkey Ball, the game offered enough single-player mode, though it was the multiplayer option that really added to the overall longevity.

Space Invaders, on the other hand (which was available at the same time), initally attracted people to the machine, though many gamers found that it samey far too quickly. Not a problem for Combat..."

I can't figure out if this review is a joke or not.

yea i love the single player in combat! and the 100+ games is space invaders get boring so quick, that no one plays 2600 space invaders at all anymore. And hey, why would some homebrewer be adding a one player mode to combat if it was already there???

and yea, sky skipper really rocks the 2600, really shows what the system can do, look out solaris!

I love GamesTM, at last we have a decent multiformat mag in UK that isn't afraid to fill great chunks with classic gaming.  I'm so sick of Edge - such a bunch of hypocrites.

What you mean? I read the Edge occasionally, and it's cool, though I prefer deeper articles sometimes (kind of which you find on the net).

What you mean hypocrites?

I love GamesTM, at last we have a decent multiformat mag in UK that isn't afraid to fill great chunks with classic gaming.  I'm so sick of Edge - such a bunch of hypocrites.

What you mean? I read the Edge occasionally, and it's cool, though I prefer deeper articles sometimes (kind of which you find on the net).

What you say?

Seems like there would be more replies in this thread. If it's not a joke, it should be. Combat?

Article sounds too genuine to be a joke. You'd think the writer would have to know *something* about the 2600 to put an obscure game like Sky Skipper in that list. Weird. :ponder:

By that I mean they're always claiming to champion new movements in gaming, but when something totally original comes along, they're rarely interested - but give them ANOTHER PC FPS(or anything with a high poly count) and they're happy. There's no sense of fun in Edge, which is odd because that's entirely what gaming is supposed to be about.