IGNORED

Guess what I'm thinking

Happy_Dude

CPUWIZ you know far to many people. i immediatly thought mr.driller. the first time i played it at the arcade i thought it was a game that was 10 years old, due to the simple but addicting gameplay. i never been able to find a copy for the PSX either, wich is quite dissapointing. everytime i go to that arcade, wich is about once every couple months, i play this little gem. it would definitly be cool if it got a 2600 reincarnation!!

I wanted to play Mr. Driller in Austin, but some guy stood at the machine for 20 minutes playing the "5000 feet" challenge over and over even though he never got further than 600 or so feet and died; then he'd just start over again. Eventually I just gave up waiting.

You are definately thinking Mr.Driller, I happen to know the original programmer of this game, I bet he would answer some questions for you if you have any.  :)

My only question (at the moment) would be "How do I go about licensing a Mr Driller Game" ;)

You know it would suck if it wasn't called "Mr Driller".

@DeV0, Oooooh so close .... :|

Name it whatever u want. As long as it has the same gameplay it should be great. I love Mr. Driller. Its such a great game.BTW, is that pic supposed to a coin?

:? The pic is the title screen from the DC version, heavily photoshoped and run through Andrew Davie's Full-Screen-Bitmap program

btw. Nice Avatar ;)

well, if the GBC version is any indication, a 2600 version may be a difficult task. im hardly an expert, but the GBC was similar in power to an NES, and there were some major slowdown issues in that version (the two color stage especially), and the playfield had to be reduced from 9 blocks wide to 7 blocks wide. The gameplay is very simple, there is a lot of math going on, as the game must calculate the enitre stage of blocks, not just the visable playfield.

the only difference between the DC and PSX versions are that the PSX uses movies for FMVs and the Dreamcast renders the graphics. Actually, im willing to bet that the PSX plays a movie of the dreamcast's movie ;)

The gameplay is very simple, there is a lot of math going on, as the game must calculate the enitre stage of blocks, not just the visable playfield.  

Only the blocks above Driller would need to be calculated. I could see blocks

that are x amount above him not being calculated anymore.

Don't forget the super blocks every 500 meters (how many blocks is that?) get rid of the previous level ;)

well, if the GBC version is any indication, a 2600 version may be a difficult task.

Well I don't want my first game to be "Connect the dots" ;) :P

Its the only DC game i havent returned to. The disc is scratched to death though. This seems pretty poular so im gonna try and find a new copy now.

Actually Happy_Dude, It looked like a burnt pizza with no topping. Im sure you wouldnt let loose with an uzi.